USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, I'm sure those stats are on the website, but I am not sure. While we were diving it, a few snorkelers were there from shore. It would be a very long snorkel and if you tried, I would highly advise wearing a snorkel vest.

If you're fit enough and confident enough to do the swim (about 1 mile each way), you are not likely to be a snorkel vest user.

Sunset Divers’ Kittiwake trips are (but not limited to) Monday and Wednesday afternoons – 1:30 PM departure Cost: US$ 55.00 per person (includes wrist band)

Dive the wreck of the Kittiwake, a 251-foot long, 5-deck, decommissioned US Navy Submarine Rescue Ship. Buddy teams dive to a maximum of 60 feet, for up to 60 minutes with a computer profile. Instructors are available for guided dives, if requested. Snorkelers are welcome aboard the dive boat and may join friends and family who are certified divers on this excursion. Contact Peter Foster-Smith, Sunset Divers (pete@sunsethouse.com) to make your arrangements.

USS Kittiwake (ASR 13) Wreck - Grand Cayman

If you're fit enough and confident enough to do the swim (about 1 mile each way), you are not likely to be a snorkel vest user.

Based on these coordinates of where the scuttled ship is:

Latitude: 19°21'41.05"N
Longitude: 81°24'0.73"W

It is only .42 miles each way from the shore of Cemetery Beach. :confused:

Looks like it is just past the fringe of the coral area where I snorkel.

Based on these coordinates of where the scuttled ship is:

Latitude: 19°21'41.05"N
Longitude: 81°24'0.73"W

It is only .42 miles each way from the shore of Cemetery Beach. :confused:

Looks like it is just past the fringe of the coral area where I snorkel.

Hmmm. My "1 mile" was just an estimate. Looks like it is doable from shore.

sure it's possible, but Please be careful... it is definitely a decent swim out in an area where boats (and jet skis) will regularly cruise by at speed heading to west bay dock or back towards town.

It definitely was not sunk with intention to be shore accessible, like the tibbetts on the brac.

I'd say please don't do it, but if you do make sure you have a tall smb or flag.

yeah, and make sure you have a pass... if the DOE comes out and does a check and finds you without a chip you could get in trouble

Finally dove it today! Lots of fish on it already... the sand dollars seem to really like the area as well. Saw a strand of 25 squid in single file line chilling off the bow... THAT was awesome!

Back
Top Bottom