USS Saratoga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At a guess, I would doubt it. Only about 3 people have ever dived the Dasher. Very, very few have dived the Graf Zepplin.

There might a few hardy souls who have done the Saratoga, the Oriskany and the Hermes (Sri Lanka) though.

Not sure if the Hermes (English channel) counts.

I did this part. Anybody want to reseach depths?

THE LOST AMERICAN AIRCRAFT CARRIERS

I think you can forget Lex, Yorktown, Wasp and Hornet. They all went down in deep water (Yorktown in 17,000 feet IIRC per Ballard). The most likely ones that might be in diveable depths are the pacific CVEs, as they normally worked relatively close to shore providing Close Air Support for Army and Marine troops. IIRR Princeton was under tow when she was finally abandoned, so probably would be too deep.

Whether HMS Campania qualifies as an aircraft carrier is debatable; she was certainly an aircraft-carrying ship, but only had a take-off deck forward (inclined and extended in her second modification to allow the underpowered a/c of her day to add a gravity assist to their acceleration), and IIRR normally launched floatplanes on trolleys; wheeled a/c would have to ditch on return. Since she was primarily intended to accompany the Grand Fleet and launch reconnaisance a/c immediately prior to a fleet battle this wasn't a major handicap; the critical thing was that she could launch a/c in sea conditions that would preclude floatplanes from taking off from the sea.

Guy

Does anyone have the deck plans of the USS Saratoga ?

We would like to create a 3D model and a virtual dive site for her like we did for the USS Oriskany. See video ....

Alberto (aka eDiver)

How many frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

No one knows, it has never been tried.

How many frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

No one knows, it has never been tried.

The above ignores the First Battle of the Marne, 1914, where the French, and Brits, did very good work and stopped the Germans cold just outside of Paris.

The Battle of the Marne (French: 1re Bataille de la Marne) (also known as the Miracle of the Marne) was a First World War battle fought between 5 and 12 September 1914. It resulted in a Franco-British victory against the German Army under Chief of Staff Helmuth von Moltke the Younger. The battle effectively ended the month-long German offensive that opened the war and had reached the outskirts of Paris. The counter-attack of Allied forces during the First Battle of the Marne ensured that a quick German victory was impossible, and set the stage for four years of trench warfare on the Western Front.[2]

I stand corrected. My post was not intended to be historically accurate, just entertaining (to everyone but the French, I am guessing they don't find the humor in it)

I stand corrected. My post was not intended to be historically accurate, just entertaining (to everyone but the French, I am guessing they don't find the humor in it)

Well, out side of the one battle sited, Paris has been taken by just about everyone and their mothers.

Well, out side of the one battle sited, Paris has been taken by just about everyone and their mothers.

Pretty much every city has, given a determined enough siege. Paris has held out longer than many - see, for example

Paris Commune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And let's not forget, amidst all the French-bashing, that revolutionary/imperial France were the Germans of their day, having conquered and controlled most of Europe at one time or another. They were the most powerful European nation under Louis XIVth, as well, and if it hadn't been for French money, arms and men, the American revolution would have failed.

Every nation has ups and downs; to judge France solely by its defeat in 1940 or its colonialist defeats in Algeria and Vietnam (and despite vastly greater resources, the US didn't achieve a different result in the latter) is just engaging in bigotry disguised as 'humor', without any attempt at an objective view of history. Taking cheap shots is all too easy.

Guy (by no means a francophile, but finds the ignorance of world history not at all funny)

Pretty much every city has, given a determined enough siege. Paris has held out longer than many - see, for example

Paris Commune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And let's not forget, amidst all the French-bashing, that revolutionary/imperial France were the Germans of their day, having conquered and controlled most of Europe at one time or another. They were the most powerful European nation under Louis XIVth, as well, and if it hadn't been for French money, arms and men, the American revolution would have failed.

Every nation has ups and downs; to judge France solely by its defeat in 1940 or its colonialist defeats in Algeria and Vietnam (and despite vastly greater resources, the US didn't achieve a different result in the latter) is just engaging in bigotry disguised as 'humor', without any attempt at an objective view of history. Taking cheap shots is all too easy.

Guy (by no means a francophile, but finds the ignorance of world history not at all funny)

Speaking as a Brit, I remember being taught about when the French managed to overcome huge odds to secure improbable victories in battles such as Crécy, Poitiers, Agincourt, Waterloo, Trafalgar and... oh wait, hold on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom