USS Spiegel Grove Forward Machinery Space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I shot this video inside the Spiegel Groves' forward machinery space. This space is four decks down from the main deck in about 140 fsw. Divers on single Aluminum 80's have died in this space.

This is a technical dive..divers must be trained as advanced wreck divers to do this dive safely.

Last edited:
I also shot this very cool video of a waterfall of bait-fish just aft of the flight deck on the Spiegel Grove.

thanks for sharing...how much of the wreck have you covered so far....?

thanks for sharing...how much of the wreck have you covered so far....?

Above the main deck 100%.
Main deck 100%
Below the main deck - deck 1 & 2 - probably 80%
Below decks 3 & 4 - maybe 20%.

However I lived on the Spiegel Grove for about 18 months when she was a commissioned US Navy ship. Covered 100% of her dozens of times during those days. When in-port I was assigned Command Duty Officer (CDO) a couple of times per week. CDO's were expected to walk the entire ship during each 24 hour watch.

thank you and your ship for a great service to our country....i think that is awesome that you can see and enjoy the ship in it's retirement after serving on her in her prime.....if any one knows their way around this wreck it is you...happy diving.

It is indeed a hoot to dive her after serving on her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom