UTD Quick adjust harness system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone using this on their BP/W webbing? Looks pretty slick. I dive various suit configurations so I need something easy to adjust, but kinda find clips and such untidy and bulky. Got one of those trick shoulders to accommodate too...

Alpha Backplate

Thanks for the link. The product seems reasonably priced and universal. The only other similar product I know of is the Agir Harpa which is not sold in the USA. The Halcyon and DSS systems only work with their plates. If you are going to purchase then I would contact UTD as to the type of webbing needed. Other adjustable systems recommend a softer webbing for the harness.

That UTD system looks very interesting. I have a DSS kydex plate that will not work with their GHA..... looks like a very viable option to replace the TransPac harness I am using.....

adjustable, no plastic buckles, and a lot less clutter. Liking it!

I couldn't find a price on this product but considering it is made with about $10 worth of hardware I would not spend more than $20 on it. It is a great idea, one of those why didn't I think of it products.

I couldn't find a price on this product but considering it is made with about $10 worth of hardware I would not spend more than $20 on it. It is a great idea, one of those why didn't I think of it products.

Maybe so, but then again, have you looked at your second stage recently? About $5 worth of molded plastic in a funny shape that makes it $250. If you have a sowing machine, then have at it with the harness. If you have an injection molding machine, same goes for your reg.

Add $10 for convenience, and you're at their price.

C'est la vie in economics.:wink:

There was a thread several years back in the DIY forum about making an adjustable harness.

Maybe so, but then again, have you looked at your second stage recently? About $5 worth of molded plastic in a funny shape that makes it $250. If you have a sowing machine, then have at it with the harness. If you have an injection molding machine, same goes for your reg.

Add $10 for convenience, and you're at their price.

C'est la vie in economics.:wink:

Yeah. . . . but, once you add shipping it is close to $60 from UTD OUCH!!

As you know shipping is a bitch no matter where you get stuff. Even Amazon has upped their Prime rates to $100/yr or something like that since they were taking a beating on shipping - and I was one of those making sure I got my moneys worth. It aint like the old days of United States Postal Service, the one and only way to get stuff (and only for a 25 cent stamp...)

What are the alternatives? Halcyon plate and cinch $389. You can contact Agir and get a harpa sent from Europe which would be more expensive. If you have a DSS steel plate you could purchase two of their glide adapters for $80.

The cheapest solution would be a DIY one.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

Anyone using this on their BP/W webbing? Looks pretty slick. I dive various suit configurations so I need something easy to adjust, but kinda find clips and such untidy and bulky. Got one of those trick shoulders to accommodate too...

Alpha Backplate

If you just need to pull a shoulder out then remove one of the triglides at the bottom of the plate. If you feed the webbing back to the plate while pushing on the shoulder strap it will move. However this assumes you have nothing on the waist straps. If you have a light or pockets on your waste you cannot do this.

Back
Top Bottom