UTD Quick adjust harness system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need for *two* DSS Glide Harness Adapters. We recommend using only one. The DSS GHA is not an "Adjustable" Harness, it is an aide for donning and doffing. Once you get one arm free it's easy to roll out of the other side.

In reality there is little need to "adjust" a Hogarthian Harness. I switch between a 3mm wetsuit and drysuit using the same harness. Hog harnesses just aren't that fussy......

Tobin

I realize you only recommend 1 but I was trying to compare apples to apples, both sides adjust on the Agir, UTD, and Halcyon versions.

I realize you only recommend 1 but I was trying to compare apples to apples, both sides adjust on the Agir, UTD, and Halcyon versions.

DSS isn't selling apples. The Glide Harness Adapter has a specific purpose, and it's not to provide an adjustable harness.

IMO if one really needs to adjust the length of the shoulder straps on a hog harness then one also needs to adjust the crotch strap, *and* the position of the chest drings, for example if one tries to "adjust" a harness fit for a 5'11" diver to fit a 5'4" diver.

The DSS Glide Harness Adapter was designed specifically to allow a standing diver with a heavy load a means to get out of their gear quickly if needed.

Tobin

DSS isn't selling apples. The Glide Harness Adapter has a specific purpose, and it's not to provide an adjustable harness.

IMO if one really needs to adjust the length of the shoulder straps on a hog harness then one also needs to adjust the crotch strap, *and* the position of the chest drings, for example if one tries to "adjust" a harness fit for a 5'11" diver to fit a 5'4" diver.

The DSS Glide Harness Adapter was designed specifically to allow a standing diver with a heavy load a means to get out of their gear quickly if needed.

Tobin

Confucius say, "It is better to sell apples than lemons". But seriously.

I think most divers looking for an adjustable harness wants one for two reasons: 1) Ease of doning an doffing and 2) To adjust the rig to different thicknesses of exposure protection. I agree their that the D-rings and the crotch strap may be out of position but in most cases they are still usable or require just a minor tweak like adjusting the crotch strap. The majority of divers are not diving doubles, carrying stages, or using scooters, so D-ring placement and crotch strap adjustment are not critical.

However I get your point, so if the topic of adjustable harnesses comes up again I will not mention DSS as a potential solution.

Confucius say, "It is better to sell apples than lemons". But seriously.

I think most divers looking for an adjustable harness wants one for two reasons: 1) Ease of doning an doffing and 2) To adjust the rig to different thicknesses of exposure protection. I agree their that the D-rings and the crotch strap may be out of position but in most cases they are still usable or require just a minor tweak like adjusting the crotch strap. The majority of divers are not diving doubles, carrying stages, or using scooters, so D-ring placement and crotch strap adjustment are not critical.

However I get your point, so if the topic of adjustable harnesses comes up again I will not mention DSS as a potential solution.

I'd suggest that many (most?) divers seeking an "adjustable" harness do so because they are more familiar with conventional vest / jacket BC's and have little experience with a Hogarthian Harness. They don't realize that Hogarthian Harnesses aren't required to be ratcheted down tight like a jacket BC. Once they use and understand what a properly adjusted Hogarthian harness is the need for instant adjustment fades.

One need only look to the numerous examples of new BP&W divers who purchased an adjustable harness and no longer using it to confirm this.

A subset of divers do need some aide for donning or doffing. Limited range of motion, the ability to drop gear while standing on a beach etc. That's the target for our goods.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom