Utila in April-Any Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caileon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
Myself and a few experienced divers plan on going to Utila in April. I believe that is the height of the whale shark season. Any suggestions on where to stay. We are avid divers and like to dive 3-4 times a day. Both boat and shore. I've been all over the world diving, but this is my first time to Utila. The only condition I would have would be to see whale sharks. Any suggestion would really help.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Eric,

Some additional information would be helpful. Do you want to stay in a resort setting or are you looking for budget accomodations or do you prefer a house? When you say a few divers, do you mean 3 or 10? April is indeed a great time for whale sharks but go hoping to see them, not expecting to. There is always a chance you will get skunked and there is lots of great diving to be had, whale sharks aside.

Most (not all) of the shorediving is done off one of the 3 AI's located SE of town. Laguna Beach has a long dock out to their site, Deep Blue sits on the Pretty Bush dive site and you can access Labrynth from there also and Utopia Village has a shoredive off their property. We stayed at Deep Blue a couple of years ago and participated in the Whale Shark Research Week, Steve Fox the owner is involved with the Ecocean program which tracks them.

We saw six that week, participated in one tagging, and my buddy shot a picture of one that was sent to Ecocean, now everytime it's spotted he gets an e-mail with updates. Deep Blue has 4 research weeks - usually in March/April during which they send out a spotter boat to find the sharks while you do your regular morning dives, then during your SI's you look for and snorkel with any sharks you find. You'll also be diving with an expert in the field during that week who will also lecture at night. In our case one of the local experts also gave a talk one night as did Steve the first night.

There is no "have to see whalesharks" guarantee. We saw 3 the first day, 2 the next and IIRC one later in the week. Many of the captains talk on the radio when they spot one as they can only make 2 drops per shark per boat so they share locations. We also spent 5 days just diving because it turned flat calm and hot (in late March) which IMO drove them deeper - we didn't see any.
Typically due to travel distance, 3 boat dives per day is all they do, if there's a night dive (2 per week) you shoredive during those afternoons. I believe it's similar at the other resorts, we had looked into and were planning on staying at Utopia till I won (ebay auction) my trip thru the Shark Research Inst.

The resort itself (actually all three of them) are on the south shore a few minutes boat ride from town, they'll take you into town occasionally as requested. Several times we saw the Laguna Beach boats heading that way. Deep Blue is nice, rooms are more than adequate and all are oceanfront. The main building houses the bar, dining room, wi-fi and lounge w/pool table and is the meeting place at night. Bring Deet or similar, there'll be lots of bugs. It's a smaller resort, IIRC just 10 rooms max. During the research weeks they limit guests to 12.

If I do it again, I'd go back there. Utila town didn't impress me much. Laguna Beach also seemed very nice but the downside there might be that the cabins there are on the lagoon side, we were bit up good by sand flies every afternoon boarding Deep Blue's boat which also moored on that side. LB has a pool, nice looking beach and a couple of Newton dive boats. You want a fast boat since a lot of the better diving is around to the uninhabited north side of the island. Pinnacles, Duppy Waters, Blackish Point were among the best dives on that side, Black Hills was the best shallow dive on the south side - we did it twice by request. It's a seamount that rises to within about 40' of the surface so lots of big stuff feeds up the wall. Literally in one dive we saw huge triggers, a small school of 4-5' grouper, a school of barracuda and more fish than you could count.

Any of the resorts will pick you up at the airport or in town at the ferry port. For us it was much cheaper to fly into Roatan and take the two ferries over, they dock adjacent to each other and the schedules coincide so we were on Roatan at noon and on Utila by 5. Deep Blue lists the schedules, basically you take the Galaxy from Roatan to La Ceiba and then the Utila Princess from LC to Utila. The ferry port is a 10 min cab ride from RTB and it leaves at 2pm. An extra few $$ for first class buys an upstairs seat in the A/C. In LC just walk across the parking lot to the Princess dock once you recover your bags, you'll see the boat as you enter the port. Going back we left Utila town at 6am and were back on Roatan b4 noon.

Capt' Vern also runs a Cat from Roatan's West End to Utila Town daily. It's a longer ride but direct. And probably a lot more fun.

Steve's mom and one of the crew picked us up at the dock, they'll also get you to your plane/boat on time. There's no lights at Utila airport (or tower, or terminal, not really much of anything) so flights are all during the day. Plan for that if you're connecting thru SPS.

Reactions: Doc
Excellent information. That answers pretty much every question I had. Thanks for everything.

Eric

I'll add my $.02. I like flying into San Pedro Sula and taking a plane to Utila. Those ferry rides are a pain and time-consuming. If the're running. If the seas are rough they can be delayed. I believe there is a new airline operating between SAP and Utila so flights are fairly regular. Whatever resort you choose can help you with arrangements. It's definitely worth it.

I'll comment on Laguna Beach and Utila since I've been to both. I've never been to Deep Blue but I've never heard anything but good things about them so they're all a good choice. I'd avoid staying in town unless you like hanging with backpackers.

Utopia's pluses: best shore diving, nice beach-side bar, great food, casual atmosphere. Negatives: no afternoon boat dive, far from town, sand flies are bad if there's no wind.

Laguna Beach pluses: afternoon boat dive, boat dock convenience next to rooms, close to town. Negatives: food is buffet-style typical, not much activity after dark, no shore diving.

I'm not a big fan of resorts so can't comment on those. If you are interested in the nonresort places, I'd be happy to give you some tips. However, if you want resort-like situation without the full "spoiling," I'd recommend Coral View. It's on the main part of the island but remote from the town. It has EXCELLENT shore diving and snorkeling. The dive center is AWESOME as well.

I just spent the last seven months on Utila (March - September) and can sadly saw I only saw two whale sharks the whole time I was there. And that was in August. Unfortunately due to changing climate conditions and the like, the whale shark migratory pattern and behavior has changed dramatically over the last years or so when Utila could rightfully claim to be the "whale shark capital of the Caribbean". Sad face.

if you'd like to be away from town (my preference) but would like to be able to walk to a resort for dinner/drinks out i highly recommend the cabana at big rock and the pineapple house. the cabana at big rock comes with a private dive boat and skipper and is only 5-10 mins walk from utopia resort. the pineapple house can organize a private dive boat or scheduled dive boat to pick you up from the house and is a 10-15 min walk from utopia resort and 5 min boat ride from the cays. both the cabana and pineapple house have beautiful house reefs to snorkel or dive and are true island getaways.

I just spent the last seven months on Utila (March - September) and can sadly saw I only saw two whale sharks the whole time I was there. And that was in August. Unfortunately due to changing climate conditions and the like, the whale shark migratory pattern and behavior has changed dramatically over the last years or so when Utila could rightfully claim to be the "whale shark capital of the Caribbean". Sad face.

I would be interested to see the research/articles or whatever you may have that you reference - at least get a reference which I can follow up. Obviously I have a vested interest and if you have information about this please share.

in the eight years i've been diving and/or living in utila we've had good years, not so good years and great years for seeing whale sharks. i've never however heard, seen or read anything about migratory patterns dramatically changing in recent years. is that a fact you're stating "wanderingGal", or just your personal hypothesis from your one visit to utila?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom