Utila in January!! Looking for Apartments and Connections!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carehughes

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm traveling to Utila in January 2010 for 5-6 months to complete my Advanced Diver to IDC...super exciting!
Just wondering if there are some people around who will be there/traveling there around that time who know of any affordable apartments for rent, or have available space in one and would like a new roommate!...I promise I'm a really cool chick :)

Thanks!

Hi... I will be there. I am going for further instructor training and with a bit of luck staying for quite a while. At the moment my arrival schedule appears to coincide with yours.....

I wouldn't decide on a place or roomate until you get there. You'll find someone and a place within a day or two. I say have fun but it's impossible not to do that on Utila. You'll love it.

Hi,

I appreciate the above comments but wanted to add a few things.

I live on Utila year-around and January thru March is the busiest time on Utila. Although this fall has been slow it will most likely pick-up after the first of the year and finding long-term housing may be more interesting.

There are basically 3 types of apartments on Utila; 1) backpacker apartments that are pretty sparce and are normally found along the main street or in and around local homes (they are the cheapest and also the nosiest), 2) one bedroom apartments (a few 2 B/R) that are also along the main street or other streets close to the main part of town and 3) a few apartments that are in quieter neighborhoods.

I would highly recommend going to Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise as there is a large selection of apartments advertised there and each has pictures, rates, etc. Our apartments are called Bananaville and we like everyone else, advertise there.

Next, you need to be very aware of security when looking at an apartment. Although you, as an individual are quite safe here your possessions are not! Petty theft is an ongoing problem and the security of your home away from home is very important. I can't tell you how many people have lost a camara, computer or other personal effects and it can put a damper on any holiday.

Look for units that have deadbolts and bars on any assessable windows. As I said, you are safe but when you are out and about your apartment may not be. Also, if the unit has louvered windows again, without bars, they can be easily removed and the unit accessed.

If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask. Although Utila is very small there are lots of options and the more you articulate what you are looking for the more helpful we can be!

HAVE FUN ON UTILA, YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!

I would highly recommend going to Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise as there is a large selection of apartments advertised there and each has pictures, rates, etc. Our apartments are called Bananaville and we like everyone else, advertise there. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask. Although Utila is very small there are lots of options and the more you articulate what you are looking for the more helpful we can be!
Hi, thanks for the post, I appreciate it. I had in fact read about those Bananville apartments and mentioned them to my future instructor trainer and hopefully boss. Could you give more information about those security measures and your apartments. BTW, spred the word. Anybody steals from me and I'll rip their head off and eat cornflakes out of their skull. No kidding.

Thanks so much for the advice! I honestly haven't thought much about the security issue, but realize it is very important...I have looked at the bananaville apartments and they look awesome, but I would definitely need a roommate or 2. I'll look more into it and get back to you if I have some questions!

Back
Top Bottom