Utila Lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAShark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be going to Utila in February or April '10. We'd like to hear opinions regarding Utila Lodge vs. Laguna Beach Resort. One of our primary objectives is to do a lot of photography. That can be difficult on boat dives so we want to be able to stay someplace where we can do lots of shore dives from the resort (4 to 5 a day). Recommendations? Thanks. PA Shark

Neither one is really optimal. I don't think there is shore diving at Utila Lodge since it's in town - someone reading this please verify that.

Laguna Beach has a nice sandy beach entry and if you swam to the right, you would come to 5 different named divesites starting with Laguna Beach and ending at Pretty Bush in front of Deep Blue resort relatively quickly. Pretty Bush is a little farther but it's all good through there, we stayed next door to LB at Deep Blue last March. There's a lot of channels and good coral formations in really shallow water dropping down a sort of vertical face to around 90' or so. And lots of cuts through the reef at a site our DM called Labrynth although I can't find it on the map.

Both sites are in a heavily traveled (for Utila) boat area but you'd be fine if you stay down. Or go later in the afternoon. One of the diveops from town held classes there just about every afternoon we were there. Usually two boats full of divers so that might cause some stuff to hide.

To the left from Laguna Beach is the boat channel for the mangrove lagoon that is behind both Laguna Beach and Deep Blue Resort. It's really shallow - like 5-6' in some areas so boat traffic there is a factor - although there's not a lot of boats - Deep Blue's, the 2(3?) from Laguna Beach and a couple of local outboards. The other boat from Deep Blue does go tearing through there a couple times a day, it's how they move their guests/staff to the resort. I assume it's similar for Laguna Beach since they're both on the other side of the channel from town and there's no road.

On the town (left from LB) side of the channel we had one of the best creature dives - saw seahorses, one of those red-lipped batfish and an electric ray on the same dive. But it was off a sandy slope and the viz was pretty bad. We dove it from a boat. It might have been Lighthouse Reef. It would be a long surface swim from that side of the Laguna Beach property but doable if the current wasn't too bad. As I recall, that was part of the problem with the viz - high current in that area.

Black Hills would be a good boat dive for photos, it's a seamount south of town that rises to about 40'. On one dive we saw Turtles, Oceanic Triggers, about 100 Barracuda and 6 or 7 3-4' Grouper. None were too excited to see us, I could've touched the Grouper, I filmed them till they gradually moved off. There can be a lot of other divers there though since it's close to town and a great site w/o a lot of depth. Here's a decent map of the divesites in that area:
http://www.utopiadivevillage.com/pdf/Utila-Dive-Site-Map.pdf

There's just not a lot of shorediving anywhere off Utila. Along a lot of the west end the water is really shallow but it's mostly sandy. And there's no roads to get you to the north side which is where the deeper drop-off is. Except for town there's not a lot of roads period. Lots of ATV's if that gives you any idea.

Even off our resort, it was easier to take a 5min boat ride to the deepside of the reef - in some areas I don't think you could swim to shore due to all the ironshore/coral formations in the water. Off Deep Blue there's only one cut in the reef that allows access from their beach to the reef.

Seriously, for shorediving maybe consider the south side of Roatan. Lots of macro there around Cocoview. And it's a lot easier to get to from our side of the country. Although if you can get to Houston in time for the morning CO flight that arrives around noon on Roatan, it's possible to be on Utila by 5 reasonably - we did via two ferries. Otherwise it's a series of flights through San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba and on to Utila. For us it meant a red-eye through Newark which is why we did the ferries. Also saved about $500pp. PM for details if interested, I may not read this post again.

If you do go to Utila in early April, that's optimal Whaleshark season. But you can't dive with them - only snorkel. And out into deep water to spot them. We swam with 6 over two days - it was pretty epic.

Last edited:
DiverSteve makes good points with regards to Utila Resorts and his analysis is fairly accurate.

There is shore diving here however, particularly on the East side of the island where there are many dive sites available from shore. He is correct about Utila Lodge being in town and LB being where it is located are not optimum for shore diving. Boat traffic at both locations is a serious consideration.

Utila Lodge is located in town (therefore you have the option of moving around easier) whereas Laguna Beach and Deep Blue are boat access only with more limited transportation options.

There are now about 6 taxis on the island that can transport you to shore dive locations very cheaply.

One of the biggest considerations for you might be the choice of island, Utila vs Roatan. Utila is a very small freindly community where getting around is easy and very safe whereas Roatan is a large island where getting about is time consuming. Utila = simple life vs. Roatan = more "resort life".

Roatan has many, many resorts whereas Utila has a total of only 4.

It seems to me you might loose the benefit of a dive resort IF you want to dive more on your own as their distinct advantage is a TOTAL package.

You might consider renting a home or apartment (on either island) and go where you want, when you want. On either island you can hire private boats for diving and it is not terribly expensive (at least here on Utila).

I live on Utila and can shore dive anytime I wish and there are many people like us who would give you options for doing so.

Hope this helps and son't hesitate if you have additional questions.

Thanks for the info. We've been to Roatan (CoCo View) before and want to try someplace new. Probably the best place to do what we want to do is Bonaire but we've been there four times and want to try someplace new, plus we'd like to have a chance to see a whale shark. As far as shore diving is concerned, I'm mostly interested in what's possible from the resort, either Utila Lodge or Laguna Beach resort. I want to spend as much time underwater with my camera as possible. Going to other shore dives on the island might be interesting but usually that takes up a lot of time. Thanks again for the infor

The truth is that Utila has every bit as much shore diving as Bonaire. The problem, or lack thereof depending on your point of view, is that there is no road which gets you to the entry sites. The reef, in most places around the island is absolutely accessible from the beach. The issue is getting to the beach.....

Utila's macro creatures are on par with any island destination and the added benefit of Whalesharks draws a pretty good crowd (when the State Department isn't running everyone off for exactly zero reason).

I don't usually promote my place here, but we might be of interest. Feel free to check out our rental in my signature. We're way more expensive than a resort, but if you are looking to go where you want, when you want, to dive, we're a pretty good option.

I'm actually on island now so fee free to email or pm me with any questions or concerns.

As far as shore diving is concerned, I'm mostly interested in what's possible from the resort, either Utila Lodge or Laguna Beach resort. I want to spend as much time underwater with my camera as possible. Going to other shore dives on the island might be interesting but usually that takes up a lot of time.
Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I found this in the testimonial on the Utila Lodge website:
There is no reef in the harbor but the water is warm and clear and good to swim in.

Another option might be Utopia Village, they mention shorediving off the resort also. It's a little farther west of Deep Blue.
plus we'd like to have a chance to see a whale shark
Deep Blue mentions access to 3 dive sites from their beach which seems about right. If you want to see Whalesharks they're an option, during "peak" weeks they have a program where they bring in experts and you get to help with the research, we got to participate in a tissue sampling (spectators mostly) and they run their second boat out in the mornings looking for sharks during your dives - if spotted you go snorkel with them during your SI. Although we did it just about every day after the morning dives anyway - except once when it was too calm. But that was in March and it costs more.

Yes Utila has wonderful shore dives, almost all of it is reef fringing the shore - however accessibility is the issue with only a few dive sites by three of the resorts, and some of the east end dive sites (airport caves, big bight, teds point) being accessible either by tuk-tuk, pick up truck or foot. Several of these are difficult to get in and out of the water.

Utila has great macro stuff - I have two divemasters working for me that are superstars at finding that stuff!

For the best photography experience I would suggest the following:
1) A dive operation that can take you to the best dive sites the island has to offer. Dedicated fun diver boats that are not limited by training requirements.

2) A dive op. that will give you your own experienced divemaster. Someone that has been working the island for at least 6 months so they really know the sites and how to get the best from them. The job of this DM is purely to take care of your logistics, your navigation, be another pair of eyes, and help to get you in the best spots for the best shots. With your own DM you can dive the dive you want to, cameras and all, without pressure from a bigger group. This is something we do regularly for our customers and any resort should be able to do the same. Ask them before you commit!

Feb is right at the start of the whale shark season, if you want to encounter whale sharks time on boats is the only way. The more time on boats the more and better your encounters will be.

We have had some great photo experiences recently along Blackish Point - a dive with great variety of macro and more, overhangs, lava tubes, an 18m reef, a 6m reef and a good drift. Highly recommended.

-r

Of the two you've mentioned, given your preference for shore diving from a resort setting, Laguna would be your best bet. While Utila Lodge has ease of access to town, the shore diving in the harbor will be a bit away from the dock, diving through the harbor.

Laguna Beach is only accessible by boat, but closer to good shore diving. It does sit on the channel to the lower lagoon though, so you do need to be aware of boat traffic in the area. Not a deterant, just something to pay attention to when underwater.

I'm not sure why you've discounted Deep Blue, but I 'assume' you have your reasons. They do however have good shore diving, probably a little more extended than Laguna, but again the resort itself is accessible by boat only.

Utopia Village also has shore diving, although I've personally only snorkeled their house reef. I enjoyed it, and could see where getting a taxi boat to run you across to the cays for the day might expand your photo opportunities quite a bit.

All 4 have good dive operations and will take you to the best sites given whatever weather conditions are present. Whichever you chose, as with CCV, make sure your crew knows what your photographic interests are, they know where the critters live and will help you find what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom