Utilus - No final air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beeser

Registered
Reaction score
I ran my new to me Utilus compressor for the first time today but don't get any air coming out of the filling hose. Air comes out of the condensate drains when their valves are open so the compressor seems to be working. Is it possible the pressure maintaining valve is stuck? The compressor looks brand new even though it's over 20 years old. I installed fresh oil and a filter cartridge.

Did you pull the plugs from both ends of the filter cartridge?

The cartridge (Bauer) didn't have any plugs.

That doesn't sound right. There is not breakout plug in the center of one end?

The Bauer filter I have looks exactly like the one shown in the link below. The top has a metal ring to pull the filter out. It came shrink wrapped and in cardboard sealed tube. This is for a P21 Triplex unit. What confuses me is that there is pressure behind both condensate drains but nothing comes out of the outlet on top of the pressure maintaining valve.

Brandschutz, Brandmeldeanlagen, Atemschutz, professionelle Tauchausrüstung, Kompressoren | BAUER P21 / Triplex filter cartridge 057679 electric motor - Breathing air compressors – accessories - Marine

Did you run it until the relief valve opened? Are you sure there was enough pressure in the filter to open the pmv?

You really should contact your nearest Bauer Service centre in your area and explain fully the background and symptoms of this particular model. They will identify the problem proberbly over the phone and offer a chargable solution. This is your 2nd post to the forum and both have been about this particular compressor. The forum is helpful but in your case sadly not that helpful I guess.
As far as the forum is concerned some of us are professional compressor engineers and charge for our work but offer advise freely on forum others are experienced users. Both can be helpful on forum however in your case you need a Bauer Service Centre, it's not always "service free" here.

I think your reply is ridicules. Some people like to or can't afford to pay to fix there problems. I'm sure you as a professional have never asked a question. Keep asking questions. It sounds like the PMV valve. remove it and hook the charging lead back up for a test and see if air comes out. They usually will start leaking slightly before allowing full flow. Or back off on the adjusting screw and see if that allows airflow.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I purchased the Utilus from someone who got it from someone else type of thing. As mentioned before it looks brand new with the oil fill tag still on it. I don't know if it was ever run as it didn't have any oil in it nor a filter. Bauer in Virginia pointed me to the correct manual for the compressor and after reading it I spoke with Porter Stiles of August Industries to obtain the proper oil and filter. He also made a few suggestions about the filtering system and the use of the main relief valve. Both the Bauer rep. and Porter were very helpful, both great folks to deal with. After installing the oil and filter I started the compressor for the first time and experienced the condition described at the beginning of this thread. It's the weekend and without access to Bauer or Mr. Stiles so thought to post the question here. I agree that it makes sense that there's something amiss with the PMV, especially after looking at the flow diagram in the manual. Since the compressor sat idle for so many years it's possible that some corrosion set in and locked the valve shut.

Last edited:
I think your reply is ridicules. Some people like to or can't afford to pay to fix there problems. sure you as a professional have never asked a question. Keep asking questions. It sounds like the PMV valve. remove it and hook the charging lead back up for a test and see if air comes out. They usually will start leaking slightly before allowing full flow. Or back off on the adjusting screw and see if that allows airflow.

ROFL Think what you like dude it’s not going to make any difference what you think or your hapless attempt to answer the op's problem however helpful you wish you were.
As I said in his specific situation from what he has stated in his previous post it is clear he needs now a professional Bauer Service Centre.
However ridicules you think my suggestion was, it was correct. The only difference between us is you just don’t know why. Further however helpful you think your latest suggestion is ….to my mind your just up the wrong creek without a paddle.

I think your reply is ridicules. Some people like to or can't afford to pay to fix there problems.

Hope dies last I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom