Utilus - No final air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I purchased the Utilus from someone who got it from someone else type of thing. As mentioned before it looks brand new with the oil fill tag still on it. I don't know if it was ever run as it didn't have any oil in it nor a filter. Bauer in Virginia pointed me to the correct manual for the compressor and after reading it I spoke with Porter Stiles of August Industries to obtain the proper oil and filter. He also made a few suggestions about the filtering system and the use of the main relief valve. Both the Bauer rep. and Porter were very helpful, both great folks to deal with. After installing the oil and filter I started the compressor for the first time and experienced the condition described at the beginning of this thread. It's the weekend and without access to Bauer or Mr. Stiles I thought to post the question here. I agree that it makes sense that there's something amiss with the PMV, especially after looking at the flow diagram in the manual. Since the compressor sat idle for so many years it's possible that some corrosion set in and locked the valve shut.

Your previous first post was the clue that no one here picked up on.
20 years stood idel from new and without oil.
I see Bauer Virginia and Porter couldnt have been more helpful.
Either way you need one of them now.

Making progress. I disassembled and cleaned the pressure maintaining device and now I'm getting about 2000 psi. Also noticed at the same time the gauge needle was sitting on the opposite side of the stop post. That was fixed too. Next step is to put on another gauge to see if the gauge is defective and giving a false reading. If not it looks like I may have the same problem as the other Utilus owner here posting about not getting high pressures.

The gauge is certainly bad as it would not return to zero. Didn't have another gauge so I'll have to wait for a new one.

That sounds like progress to me. Good luck with your new fill station. They are a joy. Take any negative salty comments with a grain of salt.

With that pressure only that high try checking the final stage valves. Bauer or Filter Techs has valves and tools to remove them. Those final stage valves are small and always give problems from setting idle a long time, iain I'm no professional and have 3 Bauers here never took one to a shop. Been luckey I guess. No insult intended, Peace..

Non taken Sealark, but in this case the OP had the thing standing for 20 years with no oil in it.
Jams oil in the sump and guns it. First thought you would have is this is going to scuff the liners at best, jam something
up at worse and end up with a nasty bill for parts if he dosent lube those upper cylinders or in this particular case get it checked out by folk who know what they are doing.

Those first few seconds of running dry before the oil in the sump has time to migrate up to the upper cylinders and valves. Rust also a consideration on the 3rd stage liner, 1st stage inlet valve also especially if the air intake had not been blanked off for long term storage. Hence why my suggestion of having a proper workshop give the heads some attention prior to main engine start.

20 years is a long time for rust to develop, futher compounded by running the pump with no outlet pressure as stated but yet with interstage pressure yet the final stage relief valve dont open is to say the very least unique.

Hey ho he was very fortunate it was the BPR, cant say I'm as confident but the fact the OP states its working OK you can only say that you dont hear something like that happening every day when you accidently dry start a Bauer after 20 years standing idle from new with no oil in it!!
Now do you LOL All the best Iain

I'm waiting for a new pressure gauge to make sure of the outlet pressure before proceeding with any repairs if needed. I understand that there are rebuild kits depending on how much the compressor was used. Since this is basically new but sitting for quite some time what is recommended?

Regarding the no oil comment mentioned above, the compressor had a small amount of oil ( a couple of tablespoons) that came out of the drain. I don't know if it's what was originally in the compressor by the manufacturer or leftover from the previous owner but I made sure the full amount of fresh Bauer oil was added before starting it. I can't see that would be any different than buying any new compressor that is normally shipped without oil.

As mentioned previously I disassembled the pressure maintenance valve to see if there was any corrosion or blockage. Everything inside was clean and corrosion free. I don't think taking the device apart had anything to do with finally getting some pressure. Also mentioned before was discovering the gauge needle had actually jumped to the other side of the 0 or sitting post and was unable to move. The needle now sits at about 500 psi without any pressure behind it indicating to me that new gauge is in order.

Since this is basically new but sitting for quite some time what is recommended? .

20 years standing to be precise. And I stand by what I said earlier, seriously talk to a professional Bauer shop

I
I can't see that would be any different than buying any new compressor that is normally shipped without oil.

I can, as suggested earlier 20 years standing from new and never used, or used then 20 years standing makes a huge difference. Let me explain

Here’s what goes on inside your compressor left for a long period of time the lubricating oil drains away from the heads, conrods, bearings and crankshaft over time even the thin oil film left drains off leaving exposed metal that is susceptible to rust.

As its a compressor water condensate left inside this also acts to condense over the upper cylinders, pistons and valves again if allowed to stand causes rust. Add that if the air intake is not blocked up the atmospheric air condenses out on the internal 1st stage inlet valve seat hence the advise that a compressor stored for a long time the oil should be drained and inhibiting oil filled to avoid the corrosion.

Volatile corrosion inhibitors (VCI) oils give off heavy vapours that fill the space within the compressor
preventing rust from forming on the internal surfaces.

Air compressor oil on the upper cylinders are a mixture of emulsified oil and water this is the stuff you drain out of the coalescers and separators, don’t or leave in inside and you will get rust. 20 years of it in your case.

As mentioned previously I disassembled the pressure maintenance valve to see if there was any corrosion or blockage. Everything inside was clean and corrosion free. I don't think taking the device apart had anything to do with finally getting some pressure.

We agree on one thing I guess I did'nt think it was the BPR either, (others may differ) LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom