UVPro vs The Dome vs Polar Pro vs ...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having shot both in-housing Alex Mustard's Magic Filters, and many a wet-mount lens / filters.

Ummmmmm, it's danggg hard to take off the filter while underwater if it's in the housing, tends to make the camera wet.

So if you go from shooting shallow ambient lighting, to deeper "gotta have a filter"..........you're screwed with an in-housing gel.

I like to shoot my Giant Stride or back roll entry, with an in-housing filter you aren't going to be able to do that..........blown out reds..............

I like to take a filter on/off during the dive............and the water between a housing and external filter/lens makes little or zero difference.

Having shot both in-housing Alex Mustard's Magic Filters, and many a wet-mount lens / filters.

Ummmmmm, it's danggg hard to take off the filter while underwater if it's in the housing, tends to make the camera wet.

So if you go from shooting shallow ambient lighting, to deeper "gotta have a filter"..........you're screwed with an in-housing gel.

I like to shoot my Giant Stride or back roll entry, with an in-housing filter you aren't going to be able to do that..........blown out reds..............

I like to take a filter on/off during the dive............and the water between a housing and external filter/lens makes little or zero difference.

Internal filter is not for everyone, but they are ridiculously cheap. I have a feeling the Magic filter is just a particular gel sheet color that Alex found worked well for most of his dives.

The giant stride and back roll entry shot could be done once and then filed in your video library. I can't remember if I ever shot video shallower than 15 feet and also deeper on the same dive. I don't have a need to take the filter on/off UW.

Glad you are happy with a filter than can be removed UW. I am happy with my internal filter. It fits my style of diving and shooting video.

Like many things, rarely is there a obvious best that fits all applications. It's great to have so many affordable options.

It is a matter of preference, if you like to use the same camera for the trip to the dive site for example it is useful to have a filter that can be removed though as Ron says this can be done once and for all
On the other hand a filter for the inside the housing cost 0.50c each as you can cut many out of a sheet and provides the best quality and does not scratch or crack or similar
It is a personal consideration how much is worth for being able to remove the fllter, for some people more than $50 is excessive for other not in general terms I believe a filter is a cheap accessory that should not cost more than 10-15% of the value of the camera as the gopro is already not so expensive this is a bit of a challenge

Back
Top Bottom