UWATEC Smart Z Wrist Mount vs Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any personal experience with the UWATEC Smart Z wrist mount computer? I am buying my first computer and want something that I will not outgrow as far as features.

Are these fully integrated, hoseless computers really reliable? Have any of you had experience with the computer and the sending unit on the first stage not pairing up? This is something the guy at the LDS said can happen.

As you all know these things are expensive so I don't want to make a mistake. Is there a better computer then this for a new diver like myself? I know these questions have been discussed before but technology has changed so much that some of the older threads I have read are not relevant anymore.

My wife has the predecessor, the Air Z Nitrox, and I know several other people who have this computer. I know if no problems with the transmitter and the receiver linking up. The only issue I have heard of is interference from a camera strobe. It can interrupt the linkage, but it gets quickly re-established.

I bought a Smart Com (the console version of the Smart computer) and I am thinking I jumped the gun and should have waited for the Smart Z. If I can work out some kind of trade-in at the LDS, I may need to upgrade.

I own the Air Z Nitrox.

I used to use it with the AI feature. It worked fine.

I now use and SPG and only use this computer as a backup and when I do it's in depth/time mode only.

For my style of diving I would rather use dive planning to figure out what my profile should look like.

GLENFWB:
Anyone have any personal experience with the UWATEC Smart Z wrist mount computer? I am buying my first computer and want something that I will not outgrow as far as features.

If you really go advanced, you'll outgrow any computer you buy now (apart the VR3 perhaps, but that's a different story...). Save your money, get the Aladin Tec or Prime, and for the difference in price get a bottom timer as a backup or another reg set. SPG's are durable and mostly error free, not to mention dirt cheap in comparison.

Plus, on both Tec or Prime you can change the battery yourself, you don't need to send it back to Scubapro for a pricy replacement, or should they discontinue it by any chance, get offered to buy a new one at somewhat lower price.

Aladin Tec can also be used as a bottom timer in the future, should you go that path.

I'd never shelf out that much money on an AI computer, plus I don't trust them (or any other to be precise) one bit as I work in IT.

I've got the Smart Tec, which is very similar to the Smart Z (but does gas switches). In 90 or so dives with that particular computer, I've never noticed the wrist unit not showing the tank pressure. And with the Uwatec hoseless AI computers, you only have to "pair" a transmitter and computer one time.

If you have the money to spend, go for it. If there is other gear you need to buy, save some money and get the Aladin Tec.

evil_xander:
If you really go advanced, you'll outgrow any computer you buy now (apart the VR3 perhaps, but that's a different story...). Save your money, get the Aladin Tec or Prime, and for the difference in price get a bottom timer as a backup or another reg set. SPG's are durable and mostly error free, not to mention dirt cheap in comparison.

Plus, on both Tec or Prime you can change the battery yourself, you don't need to send it back to Scubapro for a pricy replacement, or should they discontinue it by any chance, get offered to buy a new one at somewhat lower price.

Aladin Tec can also be used as a bottom timer in the future, should you go that path.

I'd never shelf out that much money on an AI computer, plus I don't trust them (or any other to be precise) one bit as I work in IT.
Assuming you're buying from a legit authorized dealer, ScubaPro's Uwatec computers (those that need factory battery changes) have free batteries for life, so you're wrong on that one. Assuming you're the original owner, that is, and not buying something used. Yes, you have to send it in (once a year... if you do a LOT of diving) for the new battery, but they overhaul it, reseal everything, and do some great checkup work on it at the same time, so it's hardly all bad.

Your other points about the Aladin Tec are valid.

I dive the Smart TEC myself, which is (as was said above) pretty much the same thing as the Smart Z with a few extras. LOVE IT. It can be used in gauge mode as a bottom timer, too, if I end up going the tec diving route.

No problems with the AI. And my camera has a strobe. I have a backup analog SPG that I just added last week, and that makes me feel better in general, but I didn't add it because of any problems I've had, I added just as a general precaution and as a precursor to tech diving.

I went from the SmartCom console to the SmartZ after discovering my preference for a wrist-mounted computer. I've made 100+ dives with the SmartZ and haven't experience any connection problems even while shooting w/ a strobe. However, more recently, the SmartZ has become an expensive backup to my SPG, tables.

i just bought a Smart Z..
haven't got to dive with it yet
but soon i hope
but i will let you know what it think
i have used a Uwatec O2 before and liked it
and my brother used the Air Z and liked it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom