Vacation in Corolla, NC where do the trips ogo out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in NC outer banks in Corolla, NC the first week of August, I was looking for assistance where the nearest boats were located, I probably can only get out 1 day that week.

TIA

Corolla's about as far away as you can get... The boats I know about leave from the Nags Head area ~1hr drive and from Hatteras > 2hr drive. If possible, get yourself on a charter (must book ahead) and make the drive to Hatteras. The Nags Head dives are fine but I think they will remind you too much of home. :wink:

I appreciate the info, that is what it looked like to me...(corolla being way past no where) ...any charter suggestions in either place? This is for the 1st week of August.

Just got back from the OBX three hours ago. A broken ear kept me from diving but not from checking out the shops and boats for future trips. The Outer Banks Diving folks in Hatteras were nice but their boat was tango uniform. Big crew boat, ugly but functional. The Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags Head also has a big-ass ugly crew boat. Didn't speak with them; they were too busy to chat when I was there. So didn't form any impressions. Saw the Lion's Paw 6-pack in Hatteras and then the Under Pressure (www.capt-jt.com). Research implied that diving out of the Nags Head area is similar to NJ in viz and temps, while departing from more southern ports like Hatteras results in significantly better viz and 10+ degree warmer water temps. Of all the boats I checked out the Under Pressure was, by far, the most impressive. It was functional, and clean; cleaner than a birthday dog. By pure chance Capt JT arrived while family and I were admiring the boat. He invited us aboard. It had everything; LCD TV, air conditioned cabin, bunks, indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, diver elevator for reboarding, beaucoup room, and good attitude. (I may be exaggerating about the pool, sauna and hot tub.) I'll be going out with them next time, even if it's a longer drive. I suggest you seriously consider them. HTH

I stay up in Corrola also for 2 weeks around labor day. I dove last year with OBX dive center out of nags head we had a great day diving the Jackson condition wise. I will say they were safe raggty boat called the go- between, but not the friendliest group around. I'll try a charter or go to hatterus this year.

I can rcommend OBX dive center for Nags head and Under Pressure or Lions Paw for Hatteras. Some of the others may be fine as well, I'm not dissing any of them- just don't have direct knowledge. My profile pic was taken on the Under Pressure about a week ago. I thought the boat and crew were the cat's meow.

Back
Top Bottom