Vacation location .....where to go......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Mooradian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Live on Georgian Bay in Midland ON. Love it and really enjoying the diving it offers. This August, before my daughters go away to school for the year (18 & 20 yrs. old) I want to take a trip with them. 4 nights or so. We all love the water so I am considering somewhere that I can dive and they can do a learn to scuba dive with me. Also, they want to try surfing - so we would all give that a shot. Since the primary intent is to spend time with them I want to be somewhere that while diving would be good, there are other options for us. ( or for them if they want to get away from me for a bit). Of the opportunity to dive and not sacrifice too much time with them arose I would look for a reputable LDS to get me out there. I would bring my gear, but if they wanted to dive I would want a shop that provides good safe gear as rentals.
If any of you have suggestions for a mini vacation spot and LDS / other activities based on personal experience it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Are you trying to stay within Canada, or looking for warm water? Here's a couple of thoughts.

First, 4 days isn't going to get them certified; is this your goal, or maybe just a Discover Scuba Diving, or possibly getting them Scuba certified?

Caribbean water is great for warm diving, but not for surfing. West coast is better for surfing, but not as nice for diving. Hawaii, perhaps?

Discover scuba. No certs. Looking at US or possible MX / Carribean. Cozumel would be nice but not sure what to do other than dive. Not sure you can surf there and have not researched at all.
Maybe Malibu.....

Well, as far as Mexico, I can offer a suggestion for Cancun. Scuba Total Cancun, and the instructor Laura. She's outstanding, very patient, and loves to teach. My wife had a very good time diving with her. The dive sites were just off of Isla Mujeres, so a short boat ride. We're going there again next year, so we'll look up Laura just for acting as a DM, to show us some new areas.

Discover scuba. No certs. Looking at US or possible MX / Carribean. Cozumel would be nice but not sure what to do other than dive. Not sure you can surf there and have not researched at all.
Maybe Malibu.....
Based on what you have stated so far, I think the West Coast of So Cal is what you may be looking for! I would strongly consider where I am located. The Ventura area is an ideal spot. I can help you out, if desired- just let me know. Discover Scuba for the girls, Epic diving day trips to Anacapa or Santa Cruz islands, on the weekends, surfing and great culture, shopping and nightlife in Ventura, Santa Barbara or even Malibu. Welcome to Ventura Dive & Sport and their dive boat: Raptor Dive Charters: Schedule and Reservation Information

Example A from this weekends diving at Anacapa Island. Surface temps 80 degrees, water temps 67 degrees, healthy kelp forests. No current and blue, blue water:
upload_2017-7-10_13-29-47.png

My office is nearby in Westlake Village. I personally live in Camarillo. Surfing is almost always good, but unpredictable based on swell direction and where you choose to surf from. Generally speaking, if the surf is good, the diving might not be and vice-versa. That being said, for a combined surf/dive/topside getaway, I don't think you can beat Ventura/Santa Barbara for that time of year. Certain spots in Hawaii also might work or a bit further south from me in Orange County for a dive/surf/topside combo also. Given you are allocating 4 days, I would choose Ventura/Santa Barbara. Fly into LAX and rent a car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom