Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for what it's worth, the locals here say the malaria mosquitos are in the mountains, not along the sea.
If it was prevalent along the coast, I would have had it a dozen times by now. When mosquitos come out (after rains or during their cycle) I get bit.....50 times or more per day. I'm not going to put Off or anything on here every day. It makes me feel really hot....I believe having the same effect as putting a thick coat of paint on the radiator of your car.
I didn't think they were found at altitude. Don't you have dengue there too...??

I would need to wear a dry suit with portable air conditioner on my back, running on batteries or propane. With full helmet like astronaut suit....

Jungles with malaria and I , dont really go together.
There are plenty of jungles without malaria to explore...and this has never come up.in any dive destinations we have visited....it would be an automatic NO. No good reason to put up with it....

The diving in Papua New Guinea was awesome, and a good reason to put up with malarial jungle. And the trek through the jungle was easily worth it too, though that's probably not for everybody here. I took mefloquine with no noticeable side effects (and, as far as I know, without compromising my immune system :wink:). Three fabulous weeks.

I'll just add one aside - I have learned to be very sceptical of CDC recommendations. Back in the mid-80's they said that typhoid was endemic in the piped water supply in Cairo. That was complete nonsense, as the piped water supply was heavily chlorinated. You wouldn't want to drink it because of the chlorine taste, but it wouldn't have infected you (not with typhoid, at any rate). The typhoid danger comes when you get to the smaller towns in Egypt.

I read BBC news reports on foreign places with a large pinch of salt for a similar reason - I have personally seen too many cases where they were totally off the mark.

I didn't think they were found at altitude. Don't you have dengue there too...??

I'm no expert on the statistics, but yes, I have heard of dengue cases here.

Back
Top Bottom