Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
Jeff: Do you review the equipment of every diver on the boat?
No, why in gods name would I do that for? Only on the internet I guess.
Don Janni:
If not, why not?
Why would I care? Dive gear isn't that complicated.

TSandM:
We did an equipment check which consisted of each of us testing his OWN gear to make sure it worked, and I watched him but not closely enough. I did check how he was carrying his weights, and I was concerned because he seemed overweighted to me, and all his weights were in integrated weight pouches, so I predicted he'd be seriously feet-down in his trim.

I use integrated weight pouches and I've been considerably overweighted at times but its hasn't put me in a feet-down situation. From what I've seen it's the combination of too much weight and too much air in the bladder (to compensate for the weight) that puts one in a heads-up or feet-down position. But I'm a novice by some standards so perhaps I'm wrong about that. Yet early on I did learn that 4 pounds in a couple of trim pouches flanking the tank mid way up the back helps with trim. From I remember you accomplish the same thing by using a metal plate behind your wing.

TSandM:
I did not do a fabulous job of helping this guy. I wasn't a DM or instructor -- I wasn't even a Rescue diver. I was just somebody trying to be nice by diving with a novice. I felt bad that I couldn't help him more, and I learned a lot about the skills that are needed to be a good mentor on that diving day. I'd love to learn without making mistakes, but unfortunately, life isn't often like that.

You were trying to help. I think that's great. I like to say "if you never make a mistake it means you never do anything." Yeah, that's life and we learn something new everyday as a result.

TSandM:
Except for the fact that standardized equipment removes some of these issues, this story has virtually nothing to do with DIR.

I was combining your story about this guy with the theme of your OP as I thought you were.

Don Janni:
Keep in mind the OP was addressing the value of DIR to a Receational Diver. I don't consider wreck penetration or cave diving Recreational..

I hear ya. I was just thinking back to some of my own recent experiences, like diving on the Rhone in BVI. There are hundreds of purely recreational divers that swim through that wreck every week.

Don Janni:
I believe the sword cuts both ways.

I agree, and think it could be a problem on either side, not just a negative for the non-dir diver.

Back
Top Bottom