Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst stretching exercises are always a good thing, I think @Marie13 has mentioned that she's been very diligent and motivated in her fitness regime. The fact that she is able to reach her valves in a drysuit with a thinner undersuit leads me to think this is not a personal flexibility issue.

In general, people find valve drills progressively more difficult depending on the thickness of exposure suit (i.e skinsuit, wetsuit, trilam, neoprene, summer / winter thermals). This is why I tend to start people off in a 5mm wetsuit in the pool to build up valve technique and muscle memory before proceeding on to drysuit and open water.

Once basic technique and muscle memory have been achieved, any subsequent problems must therefore be a result of shoulder and elbow restriction, in this case caused by material bunching around the joints.

So, the choices are to either 1) change the drysuit / undersuit or 2) adapt the technique used to successfully reach the valves. Marie is exploring 1 already, so how about looking at 2.

If diving with thick undersuits and struggling to reach valves, I would suggest the following:

1 - In flat trim and prior to drill, briefly stretch arms and legs out as mush as possible to allow the suit(s) to move freely. I find a little (wet dog) shake also helps, but make sure your buddy knows your not oxtoxing first o_O. You can also reach to your waist and pull up any excess leg material a bit more, which may have shuffled down during kit up.

2 - add more air to the suit and less in the wing. This will allow the drysuit to glide over the undersuit, thus providing more flexibility.

3 - maintain flat trim, head up and arched back during V drill. This will present the valves closer to your shoulders rather than leaving a gap if hunched over.

4 - if problem still persists, use your head and neck muscles as extra leverage. It is common to see people place the heal of their right hand on the back of the head, then push their head back until their fingers make contact with the valve. However, a slightly modified method can also be used to reach the left and right posts. First, place the heal of the hand (palm facing backwards) on the back / side of the head (4 o'clock position for right post) and push back and outwards. This will guide your hand to the wheel. Once there you can grip and maintain enough purchase to effectively manage the wheel.

Although not necessarily conventional, his is a perfectly acceptable and effective adaptation. I have successfully used this method to 're-educate' a few experienced divers who had previously given up trying.

I hope the above makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try and mock up some photos.

Before I plunk down for the Fourth Element Arctic separates, what undies have you found that are warm AND stretchy? I dive the Great Lakes, so temps would be around 40F/4C at depth, give or take a few degrees.

For me the Arctic would be way way way too cold for 4C water. The Halo 3D is the only thing from Fourth Element that is kind of warm enough for that, and then only if you wear the right base and mid-layers.

Hi,
I'm of a long body/short legs build and so have had bother with a few one pieces where they are fine for wear, but for valve drills get, err, uncomfortable! I found a two piece both better and worse, I could reach my valves slightly better, but this then caused them to slide up and I ended up with a cold middle. If you are valve checking during the dive it happens, as well as if you need to do a valve drill. I ended up with a larger size one piece, I'm on a No Limits Sealion at the moment which is super stretchy fleece and I adjusted the hem and stirrups.
My wife is into her lifting, and quite big in the lats and shoulders and had so a similar problem. Her solution ended up being to slash the seam under the armpit and add a diamond panel of fleece to increase the effective length in the side of the garment. This increased flexibility in her suit quite significantly.
I think the answer may be to put an undersuit on, crouch down then put your arms above your head and bend the elbow. As you work through the manoeuvre look where the tension points are and adjust accordingly. This worked for the wife and I, identifying the different points that needed adjusting.
Hope that helps.
Rich

Assuming the suit is sized correctly, I'd also check the suspenders. I've found that when I have my suspenders set really tight, valve drills can become challenging because my torso mobility is limited.

Also, try to touch your nose with your elbow. Yeah, I know that's nearly impossible, but trying to do it does get your arm in the best angle for reaching back to that valve.

• Assuming the suit is sized correctly, I'd also check the suspenders. I've found that when I have my suspenders set really tight, valve drills can become challenging because my torso mobility is limited.

Also, try to touch your nose with your elbow. Yeah, I know that's nearly impossible, but trying to do it does get your arm in the best angle for reaching back to that valve.

I read your post about the loose suspenders a while back. I always make sure mine are loose. Noted on the other.

For me the Arctic would be way way way too cold for 4C water. The Halo 3D is the only thing from Fourth Element that is kind of warm enough for that, and then only if you wear the right base and mid-layers.

Halo is only available in a one piece.

I wore the Fourth Element X-Core vest under the Arctic. I was good warmth use with that. 250 gram Smart Wool base layer.

Whilst stretching exercises are always a good thing, I think @Marie13 has mentioned that she's been very diligent and motivated in her fitness regime. The fact that she is able to reach her valves in a drysuit with a thinner undersuit leads me to think this is not a personal flexibility issue.

In general, people find valve drills progressively more difficult depending on the thickness of exposure suit (i.e skinsuit, wetsuit, trilam, neoprene, summer / winter thermals). This is why I tend to start people off in a 5mm wetsuit in the pool to build up valve technique and muscle memory before proceeding on to drysuit and open water.

Once basic technique and muscle memory have been achieved, any subsequent problems must therefore be a result of shoulder and elbow restriction, in this case caused by material bunching around the joints.

So, the choices are to either 1) change the drysuit / undersuit or 2) adapt the technique used to successfully reach the valves. Marie is exploring 1 already, so how about looking at 2.

If diving with thick undersuits and struggling to reach valves, I would suggest the following:

1 - In flat trim and prior to drill, briefly stretch arms and legs out as mush as possible to allow the suit(s) to move freely. I find a little (wet dog) shake also helps, but make sure your buddy knows your not oxtoxing first o_O. You can also reach to your waist and pull up any excess leg material a bit more, which may have shuffled down during kit up.

2 - add more air to the suit and less in the wing. This will allow the drysuit to glide over the undersuit, thus providing more flexibility.

3 - maintain flat trim, head up and arched back during V drill. This will present the valves closer to your shoulders rather than leaving a gap if hunched over.

4 - if problem still persists, use your head and neck muscles as extra leverage. It is common to see people place the heal of their right hand on the back of the head, then push their head back until their fingers make contact with the valve. However, a slightly modified method can also be used to reach the left and right posts. First, place the heal of the hand (palm facing backwards) on the back / side of the head (4 o'clock position for right post) and push back and outwards. This will guide your hand to the wheel. Once there you can grip and maintain enough purchase to effectively manage the wheel.

Although not necessarily conventional, his is a perfectly acceptable and effective adaptation. I have successfully used this method to 're-educate' a few experienced divers who had previously given up trying.

I hope the above makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try and mock up some photos.

I can also do a valve drill in the pool in a 7mm. My valve drill consists of loosening my belt, going a bit head down to shift the tanks closer to my head, grab the manifold with one hand to pull them closer, and then manipulating valves with the other hand. Right hand works manifold valve and right valve, then right hand grabs manifold, so I can do left valve with left hand. I also have the XS Scuba manifold with the nice big knobs that turn very smoothly and only require 1.5 turns. That alone makes a huge difference.

I would say you don’t have your valve drill in the pool if you have to do all that to reach the valves. How realistic is it to loosen your belt, wiggle and reach, heads down in the event of actual gas hemorrhage? My friend has what we call T. rex arms. She’s limited herself to not do deco in doubles because she can’t realistically reach her valves in a reliable manner. We’ve spent hours stretching and messing with gear. I video her. Her hand is just about 2” too far away to do it. Just a honest question to ask yourself. I took a mirror in the pool to connect my brain to my body for the range of motion to be able to reach the valves with no contortions.

One thing I learned in my Cave 1 class (and I was guilty of) was during a valve drill many have the tendency to start with their arms too far away from the body and also to lift the head (and drift to a head up position slightly) as they attempt to reach the valves that then puts the valves out of reach.

My instructor's technique (which i quickly adopted to my benefit) is to do the following:
1. start in a good horizontal trim position
2. bring your elbow tight into your body and your finger tips on our cheek
3. "walk" your finger tips up the side of your face/head, keeping your elbow tight to the body while dipping your head down, and trending your position head down
4. when you get your valve, bring your head up and back to horizontal trim.

your elbow should pivot straight our from your body and not off the the side.

This is a spin off of my tech class thread as I wanted this to be stand alone.

I need to pick your brains on valve drills and drysuit undies. Had my first class dives for TDI AN/DP/Helitrox this weekend. It was a disaster with regards to valve drills. I couldn't do them. Not enough give in the undies.

Background: I have a Fusion Fit (women's version) drysuit. Discovered in the pool over the winter that the hard neck ring for the replaceable neck seal severely restricted shoulder movement (I have narrow shoulders and ring covered most of my shoulders). I had the neck ring removed and latex seal glued on in place. I was then able to do valve drills in the pool, but only with thin merino wool undies. Pool was heated to 80F and too hot to wear my thick under suit. I've been using a Thermal Fusion, but it fits so closely that there isn't any extra to allow for the required arm movement to manipulate my valves. I found this out two weeks ago on a quarry dive.

I went into my dive shop and talked to my tech instructor who also works in the shop. The shop is a Fourth Element test center, so there are Arctic one-piece suits and X-Core vests to rent for dives to try them out. I would buy the two piece. However, only the one piece was for rent. So I tried that with the X-Core vest under it in the shop and I had more range of motion than with the Thermal Fusion. I was fine with the warmth of the X-Core under the Arctic. Fast forward to my class dives this weekend and being unable to do a valve drill with the Fourth Element.

I've briefly talked to a few people and the consensus is that two pieces are better for mobility. Before I plunk down for the Fourth Element Arctic separates, what undies have you found that are warm AND stretchy? I dive the Great Lakes, so temps would be around 40F/4C at depth, give or take a few degrees. Due to the stupid plague (as I refer to CV-19), I missed six weeks of practice for class that I would have otherwise had (local quarry opens early April), so this issue would have otherwise been discovered well before class. My drysuit is not the issue. Undies are. Thanks!

M...

This dilemma is not is not uncommon...and is usually a combination of two things...mechanical limitations of the equipment...and physical limitations of the individual...

With the objective being...making mechanical improvements...which allows physical limitations to be able to perform the task successfully...

In this case...the journey to success may require significant/expensive alterations/replacements...

I just turned 71...and as I've aged...I've had to make many dive gear adjustments in order to compensate for physical limitations brought on by the aging process...

We're all different...what may work for me...may not work for you...

When the tool or combination of tools no longer works...you need to find new tools...taking not only the replacement tool into consideration...but your physical ability in using the replacement tool successfully in order to complete the task...

In your case it may be as simple as a stretchable two piece undergarment...but...if your tight jeans are limiting your movement...wearing comfortable underwear is not going to solve your problem...nor are thinner socks in shoes that are too tight to begin with...

I wear a DUI CF 200 dry suit...made from DUI's proprietary crushed neoprene...it stretches...and two piece T-Max Heat stretch/low loft undergarment/socks combination...and like you...cold Great lakes water...38/42 degrees F...warm as toast...with no mobility restrictions with any current gear combination...but that's me...your needs are very likely completely different...

The only thing I would suggest...is to try what you think may work...before you go and spend a ton of money on something that may not work...

With a two piece undergarment...make sure the top is long enough to fully tuck into the bottoms ''and stay there''...if the top is too short and rides up during movement...your lower back will become exposed causing you to get real cold...real quick...especially wearing a ''bag'' suit that has no thermal properties...and if you have ''any'' arthritis in your body...your back won't be long in letting you know...

Best of luck...

W...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom