Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually it is - your making up stuff that fits your narrative - show me a training manual that it has to be done a certain way and ill apologise - how you do it is not as important as being able to get it done-

Tips for Reaching the Valves on your Twinset - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

L...

First of all you're off topic..

Secondly to take your off topic argument a step further...if you can neither perform an emergency gas shut-down as per established protocol...or by any other ''adaptive'' protocol...then you're in a world of hurt if/when the need should arise...

As you've already stated...protocol is not as important as success in the task...and success is not being successful one time in ten tries...but being successful 100% percent of the time...

I think the best advice for Marie...is for her to work this through with her instructor...that's why she has an instructor in the first place...

W...

Do you simply need to reach the valves because if that’s so if you undo the waist band you could toss those doubles out over your head if needed but if that doesn’t fit the rules then you’re caught.

Mac...

Don't forget the crotch strap...

W...

I had forgotten I have an Aqualung MK2 undersuit tucked away from when I had my first drysuit. One layer fleece - with arms that zip off. Range of motion with the sleeves taken off and a couple of layers of Smart Wool underneath is pretty good. Another option to try this weekend. Worth a try as it’s something I already have.

This doesn't sound like anything 3x slobwinders won't fix. Right post over right shoulder, left post over left shoulder and then maybe coil the isolator around your neck so you can tell them apart. You could also color code them so you know which one is which or spring for flavored knobs so you can tell them apart by taste.

lx0f6AqhH7AViPou5-zHL5-0pXKi0wwgPRCLaAhbGgyo2ovrjDxaHnK-7kygQTASaJYu6ulDerH4hq13-i8_EU0CTU-r4tm4.jpg

This doesn't sound like anything 3x slobwinders won't fix. Right post over right shoulder, left post over left shoulder and then maybe coil the isolator around your neck so you can tell them apart. You could also color code them so you know which one is which or spring for flavored knobs so you can tell them apart by taste.

View attachment 586973

I hope you’re joking. My method of loosening my belt is acceptable to instructor. Slob knobs? Nope.

I hope you’re joking. My method of loosening my belt is acceptable to instructor. Slob knobs? Nope.
Nope. You just add one step before each valve manipulation. I'd check with your instructor, but last I knew GUE was going with the following standards:

- 2 licks per knob (example below)
  • Grab right slobwinder
  • 2 licks
  • Verify almond flavor
  • Proceed with shutting down post
- GUE standard flavors were:
  • right - almond
  • left - black licorice
  • isolator - pumpkin spice or eggnog (the isolator is seasonal)

Nope. You just add one step before each valve manipulation. I'd check with your instructor, but last I knew GUE was going with the following standards:

- 2 licks per knob (example below)
  • Grab right slobwinder
  • 2 licks
  • Verify almond flavor
  • Proceed with shutting down post
- GUE standard flavors were:
  • right - almond
  • left - black licorice
  • isolator - pumpkin spice or eggnog (the isolator is seasonal)

OK, you win the internets for today! :rofl3:

This is a spin off of my tech class thread as I wanted this to be stand alone.

I need to pick your brains on valve drills and drysuit undies. Had my first class dives for TDI AN/DP/Helitrox this weekend. It was a disaster with regards to valve drills. I couldn't do them. Not enough give in the undies.

Background: I have a Fusion Fit (women's version) drysuit. Discovered in the pool over the winter that the hard neck ring for the replaceable neck seal severely restricted shoulder movement (I have narrow shoulders and ring covered most of my shoulders). I had the neck ring removed and latex seal glued on in place. I was then able to do valve drills in the pool, but only with thin merino wool undies. Pool was heated to 80F and too hot to wear my thick under suit. I've been using a Thermal Fusion, but it fits so closely that there isn't any extra to allow for the required arm movement to manipulate my valves. I found this out two weeks ago on a quarry dive.

I went into my dive shop and talked to my tech instructor who also works in the shop. The shop is a Fourth Element test center, so there are Arctic one-piece suits and X-Core vests to rent for dives to try them out. I would buy the two piece. However, only the one piece was for rent. So I tried that with the X-Core vest under it in the shop and I had more range of motion than with the Thermal Fusion. I was fine with the warmth of the X-Core under the Arctic. Fast forward to my class dives this weekend and being unable to do a valve drill with the Fourth Element.

I've briefly talked to a few people and the consensus is that two pieces are better for mobility. Before I plunk down for the Fourth Element Arctic separates, what undies have you found that are warm AND stretchy? I dive the Great Lakes, so temps would be around 40F/4C at depth, give or take a few degrees. Due to the stupid plague (as I refer to CV-19), I missed six weeks of practice for class that I would have otherwise had (local quarry opens early April), so this issue would have otherwise been discovered well before class. My drysuit is not the issue. Undies are. Thanks!

Hi,

I dive an Argonaut 2.0 dry suit with either a 1 piece Argonaut halo-3d undersuit or a two piece Argonaut arctic under suit. Under that I have a two piece xerotherm base layer.

So - valve drills using a 12l twin set and classic backplate and wing with a one-piece harness and a stage.
I found this initially quite difficult - but got most of this solved with the help of a number of training sessions with a tec instructor.

The following helped me get there.

- Contrary to some recommendations a tighter fit of the shoulder straps keeps the twin set closer to my head - loose shoulder straps allow it to slip backwards if you are only slightly out of trim especially when arching your head backwards.
- Arch your head backwards and towards the valve you want to close - this reduces the length of reach you will need to get to the valve.
- I found wearing a two piece undersuit a lot easier for this than a one-piece suit (in my case - the halo-3d)
- A twin set with easy to operate rather than stiff valves also helps - especially when wearing gloves

I still find shutting down the left post more difficult than the right post or isolator manifold.

Still - I can execute a valve drill and have done it successfully once in anger with a free flow I couldn't shut down otherwise - although I'm not sure I'd pass a class.

regards,

Rory

If you use one keep it on the open side of the waist belt it will slip right off.

Mac...

Correct...I never loosened the waist belt...just unsnapped the crotch strap...and hiked the doubles up...performed the drill...kit slipped back down on its own...snapped crotch strap back in place...performed no other harness adjustments...

Whatever works...I followed instructors method...it worked well for me...technique was never varied...

I found leaving the harness alone and only unsnapping the crotch strap kept the kit stable and secured...leaving you to concentrate on the shutdown drill and not having to worry about heavy doubles slipping to one side or another with the harness loosened off...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom