Vancouver/Scheldt Sailing Lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeNomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm heading to Schelt for some diving at the end of the month, and I was considering trying out sailing for a day. I was hoping someone could reccomend someone in the area that would be good for a day lesson. Not looking for anything over fancy, just want to get out on the water and get a feel for it. The primary purpose of my trip is diving afterall.

I'm not aware of any sailing schools up there but if there are any they should show up with google. I would suggest you try contacting the local yacht clubs (gibsonsyachtclub.com or gulfyachtclub.com). If they don't know of anyone who will take you out for the day, you might want to ask if they have any weeknight racing which you could volunteer to crew for.

My yacht club in Victoria has a yellow box painted on the asphalt at the top of the dock where people who want to crew can go. Skippers will usually go by and ask about experience and let you on if they are short handed. Its a bit of a trial by fire way of learning to sail, but racing can be really exhilerating (or really boring if there isn't any wind). It doesn't take much other than elbow greast to "grind" or "tail" (Grinding is turning the winches, tailing is pulling on the line while the grinder turns the winches.)

If you do end up racing just remember two things: its not called rope on a boat....its called "line"....and when someone says "Duck!" they aren't referring to waterfowl, they are referring to the boom coming across - usually with little regard for any heads that are in the way!)

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom