Vavau, Tonga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Give Beluga Diving a look, I've used them over the years for air fills and occasional rendezvous dives. No complaints, and they have been around 20 years, damn hard to do at the "end of the earth". Named sites I liked (no particular order): Wreck of Clan Williams (only if it hasn't rained for a few days, runoff makes this a braille dive), White Patch, Mushrooms, Ovaka Wall, North Shore, Split Rock. There are additional good sites around Tu'ungasika and Hunga that are/were not named. There are many remote sites that are not named, but rather far for a small boat from Neiafu's main harbor, owing to it's fiord-like single opening to the west. Not likely your OP will take you to them.

Thanks for that, some of the operators I contacted have shut down but beluga still going. they're currently in the throws of cyclone ian so hope they stay safe...

Neiafu, is what northern hemisphere sailors call a Hurricane Hole, protected place to hole-up in a major storm. The wreck Clan Williams was once covered in abandoned anchor line and chain, as yachties used it as a Cyclone mooring. It is in the perfect location for that, right in the center of the harbor. Something else to see when you drop in. Hopefully the Tongans fair well in this Cyclone season, they don't get many, but it only takes one to screw up such a remote place with so little infrastructure, for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom