Veggie food in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but are there any restaurants in Coz that have good veggie food? And I'm talking like actually not cooking with lard, chicken, etc...

Also, my boss told me (based on his visit MANY years ago) to avoid any fruits or veggies you don't peel and especially to stay away from salads. What's the consensus on this one?

I'm pretty much counting on having to cook for myself while I'm there, but I figure since the place gets such a lot of American traffic it might have a place or two that understands veggie cooking. Mexican food can be made great without meat if you know what you're doing.

Cheers! :)

Gregg

There is a grocery store.

Are fish off the menu? (beans will have lard; tortillas will have lard; I did have a mushroom ravioli at Prima's...that could be somewhere worth trying.)

Rock-n-Java has an excellent vegitarian selection.

Guido's has some great vegetarian pastas as does Prima.

If Especias opens back up while you're here, he can definitley do some great vegetarian stuff.

French Quarter also has some vegetarian selections, but may not be reopen by the time you are here.

Your boss is still living in the dark ages. You can eat the fruit and veggies and lettuce and you can have drinks with ice and even order water at a restaurant without having to worry about it...they will not serve you tap water and the ice is not made form tap water...it's all purified...not even the locals drink the tap water. It's not THAT bad anymore, but it's not good enough to drink. I do brush my teeth with it though.

Ron Brandt:
Are you serious? :11:

Ron

Uh, yeh...I have for almost 5 years now as do most people who live here. The water is not totally contaminated and they actually DO treat it now...supposedly you CAN drink it even but it doens't taste good and I don't trust it THAT much yet. It is still the normal practice to wash fruits and veggies in purified water with the antibacterial drops...and I do that.

Yep, me too (brush my teeth with local water). I have NEVER ONCE become ill in Coz from food or drink. I eat whatever I want, from whatever restaurant or taco stand appeals to me.

But back to the original question - I vaguely recall a vegetarian restaurant just south of the square...Garden of Eden - maybe where there used to be a sushi restaurant. Is it still there?

The Garden of Eatin' is still here, under new ownership. Grant and Tuly of the No Name Bar bought it a few months ago. Great salads!

Call me "chicken", but even after living in Cozumel for 7 and a half years, I still brush my teeth with bottled water.

i've not posted here before, but this is a subject i have put a lot of thought into. i didnt tolerate something very well the first few times i was there but the last several times to cozumel i've been fine. i am pretty carefull, but i still use bottled water to brush my teeth and i dont eat lettuce. i looked for low fat food when i was there just before wilma and had a hard time finding anything. we ate at the french quarter, prima, guidos just about every night, and it was good.... tm

Ron Brandt:
Are you serious? :11:

Ron

I brushed my teeth with the tap water for years with no problems at all. Then I was recently advised against it and the last couple of trips used bottled water just to be safe.

p.s. I second all Christi's restaurant recommendations, especially Rock'n'Java & the French Quarter (please be open by May!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom