Venice aug 1st 1 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinvee dan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was down in venice for the weekend (not a dive weekend) but was able to sneak in one dive, and this is what I found. I will be going back in a couple weeks for a full weekend of diving, hope to get 4 to 6 tanks in then.

Attachments

• aug 2009 cleaned (5).jpg
    aug 2009 cleaned (5).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 163
  • shark teeth  aug 09.JPG
    shark teeth aug 09.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 167
Were you diving alone or with a charter boat? If so can you share the name of the boat. I am planning to be there in September and would like to get in a day or two of diving.

What is the pink color on the teeth, is it an iron stain?

cooper river diving

Were you diving alone or with a charter boat? If so can you share the name of the boat. I am planning to be there in September and would like to get in a day or two of diving.

What is the pink color on the teeth, is it an iron stain?

cooper river diving
I am diving solo off 17' skiff, if you are looking for charter call Jamie of Arista-kat 941-321-0852 or Jamie@aristakat.com. Jamie is out there more than most and gets great reviews from everyone. I don't know what the pink stuff is; will have to ask fossil babe, she is local and extremely knowledgeable. I use vinegar to clean up my finds.

Ditto on Jamie and the Aristakat, my kids just got certified and the four of us went down to dive with Jamie for 2 days, we had a great time and also enjoyed meeting fossil babe.

We had some teeth with pink also its not a stain but some sort of growth, it came off with the vinegar solution

The pink and various other encrusting looking coloration are forms of Coralline Algae. Here is a bit of Wiki-info.

Coralline algae are red algae in the Family Corallinaceae of the order Corallinales. They are characterized by a thallus that is hard because of calcareous deposits contained within the cell walls. The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, and some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white or gray-green.

Unattached specimens (maerl, rhodoliths) may form relatively smooth compact balls to warty or fruticose thalli. Many are typically encrusting and rock-like, found in tropical marine waters all over the world.

So that tooth was still alive on the bottom of the ocean just not in its original state of life. =P That stuff grows like crazy in my salt water tank and a good vinegar dip cleans it off all the unwanted growth on power heads and other equipment but have to razor blade it off the glass.

pink stuff could be the encrusting foramanifera called homotrema rubrens (sp?). they have calcareous test, which would dissolve in acid (vinegar). this species is responsible for the pink sand beaches in the bahamas.

Just joined scuba board and will being going to venice for the 1st time .will be there sometime between 12-25-09 and 1-01-10 i live in michigan .looking for any infor mation. THANKS
Wolffman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom