Venice Beach 8/20/05 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I went with my son's Venture Crew to dive Venice with Florida West Scuba Schools. I have to say Capt Steve Thacker runs an outstanding operation. I'll definitely dive with him again.

We went on a two tank afternoon dive just south of Venice Beach. We went just south of where the dredges are digging up the sand to replenish the beach. The vis on the first dive was OK... 10-15'. The water was HOT!! The minimum my compter registered was 89.6F. Most of the time, my computer was displaying 91F. We came up with a bunch of stuff. One guy stubled on to two huge megs... I found a small tooth, some manatee bones, and a prehistoric snake vertebra. Jack found a ton of small teeth. This place was great.

Our second dive was a little further south. This place had a lot of muck. I only found one tooth, but it was a small meg... so, that made the entire trip worth it.

Now... I need to talk about Capt Steve Thacker. I was thoroughly impressed with his operation. The tanks came with the cost of the dive, so the tanks were already loaded on the boat. When we got to the dive site, Capt Steve gave us a great briefing on the fossils and how to find them. Then he pointed us in the right direction and we headed out for our 90 minute dive. Yes! 90 minutes. And yes... I used all 90 minutes. When we got back on the boat, the first thing we were greated with was a shower from the hose. That felt great. Then, the crew set our next tank up for us. I almost felt like I was in Costa Rica again. After a 30 or so minute SI... he sent us out for our second 90 minute dive... and yes.. I was the last one to get back on the boat...

I'm looking forward to my next trip with Capt Steve.

Al

Thanks for the report. I've been wanting to get over there with the son and debating between the boat and the shore. For our first time I guess I'll go the boat.

scubadad:
Thanks for the report. I've been wanting to get over there with the son and debating between the boat and the shore. For our first time I guess I'll go the boat.

We had so many Crew members who wanted to go, we ended up splitting into two groups. We had the "boat people" and the "beach people". The boat people did MUCH better than the beach people. The beach people collected a total of 12 teeth in all. Between the twelve of us on the boat... we collected well over 100 and several megs... The report we heard from the beach was all the teeth are covered up with the sand that their repleneshing the beach with.

I'm looking forward to going back. My daughter commented all day that she wanted to go on a tooth dive...

Al

Scuba_Dad:
I went with my son's Venture Crew to dive Venice with Florida West Scuba Schools. I have to say Capt Steve Thacker runs an outstanding operation. I'll definitely dive with him again.

We went on a two tank afternoon dive just south of Venice Beach. We went just south of where the dredges are digging up the sand to replenish the beach. The vis on the first dive was OK... 10-15'. The water was HOT!! The minimum my compter registered was 89.6F. Most of the time, my computer was displaying 91F. We came up with a bunch of stuff. One guy stubled on to two huge megs... I found a small tooth, some manatee bones, and a prehistoric snake vertebra. Jack found a ton of small teeth. This place was great.

Our second dive was a little further south. This place had a lot of muck. I only found one tooth, but it was a small meg... so, that made the entire trip worth it.

Now... I need to talk about Capt Steve Thacker. I was thoroughly impressed with his operation. The tanks came with the cost of the dive, so the tanks were already loaded on the boat. When we got to the dive site, Capt Steve gave us a great briefing on the fossils and how to find them. Then he pointed us in the right direction and we headed out for our 90 minute dive. Yes! 90 minutes. And yes... I used all 90 minutes. When we got back on the boat, the first thing we were greated with was a shower from the hose. That felt great. Then, the crew set our next tank up for us. I almost felt like I was in Costa Rica again. After a 30 or so minute SI... he sent us out for our second 90 minute dive... and yes.. I was the last one to get back on the boat...

I'm looking forward to my next trip with Capt Steve.

Al
Wow sounds like a great trip something I will have to look into on my next trip down that way thanks for sharing. Is there a web site for this operator?

Scuba_Dad:
I'm looking forward to going back. My daughter commented all day that she wanted to go on a tooth dive...

Al

When you want to go back, let me know. Maybe we can schedule something and share the ride from Melbourne/Daytona to Venice Beach.

scubatim2004:
Wow sounds like a great trip something I will have to look into on my next trip down that way thanks for sharing. Is there a web site for this operator?

Yes! His web site is http://www.floridawestscuba.com

Al

scubadad:
When you want to go back, let me know. Maybe we can schedule something and share the ride from Melbourne/Daytona to Venice Beach.

Sounds great! Next time I go, I'll probably plan to dive two days. It's a long ride from Melbourne.. I just checked Mapquest, and Daytona is a couple of miles closer. I have to head north to the Bee Line (I have a hard time calling it the Beach Line).

I'll keep you posted... if you decide to go... let me know...

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom