Venice Beach first timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, i am really looking forward to a trip to venice beach, fl at the end of april, with scuba west. i am an experienced blackwater fossil diver but have never dove in the clear ocean water for fossils.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Florida Conch Divers then look for the Venice Fossil Divers Club....Lots of info and good people to help out!!!!

Go to Florida Conch Divers then look for the Venice Fossil Divers Club....Lots of info and good people to help out!!!!

thanks!!!!

iamsharky:
i am an experienced blackwater fossil diver but have never dove in the clear ocean water for fossils.

Not to worry, you won't be diving in clear ocean water at Venice. It's rarely black water, although I have encountered it there, but average viz is about 6 ft, it's not rare to measure viz in inches, but we do see 10 - 15 feet from time to time.

.I have not dove Venice yet but I have made probably 80 or so black water dives. Here are some suggestions of what to look for. Look for black, very hard, fossilized bones. Also look for the scalloped shaped fossilized clam shells. The clam shells will likely be gray in color. I will attach a photo to show an example of the type of color to be on the look out for. The color comes from the color of the soil that leaches into the material over millions of years. The attachment is a fossilized shell I found last season offshore Myrtle Beach SC. This shell is VERY hard. Look closely at the color. Also look closely at the shell form and shape and you will notice it is somewhat different from shells of today. It is a bit more aggressive looking.

100_2226.jpg

Last edited:
.I have not dove Venice yet but I have made probably 80 or so black water dives.

Lee, thanks for the advice and the picture. i dove today in a local river but the viz was horrible (less than a foot) due to the rain we have had. I did come away with a 6.25 meg, a few smaller megs and makos though. You are always very helpful with your posts!!! May you have great finds!

Back
Top Bottom