Venice beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi:

I'd like to find some shark teeth (meg?). My buddy and I are coming down the weekend before or after the week of Jan 12th.

From reading posts it seems Venice Beach is the place to go.

Can someone recommend a dive shop or location nearby? I'd like specific suggestions as we won't have a clue how to get around.

Will be coming from Tampa in rental car so we can venture around a little.

thanks,
russ

Hey Russ,

Keep an eye on the Florida Conch Divers Section and start some conversation with us here and by January next year you will know quite a bit about Venice. I'm sure you'll have several new dive buddies willing to go with you also.

In the mean time go to a website of a nearby LDS www.floridawestscuba.com. They also offer charters for sharks teeth but save your money and do the free shore dives you'll get about the same results.

If you really want to try a boat dive I suggest you drive about 2 hours to the other coast. The charters over there I'm told are much better deal for your dollar. Someone here at FCD section will be able to suggest a good boat or two.

Hope this helps, keep in touch

Wildbill:cop:

Just post I will go back down. I am about an hour. Don't bother with the boat. It is an easy shore dive!

I don't usually dive with a 5mm. Is a matter of fact I don't even own one. But it would probably be a good idea. You will need a bad to put all of your treasures in. I personally prefer a buddy leash. You may need a flag if you cannot rent/borrow one.

Temps were 74° F this past Saturday. They will continue to drop. During a typical winter they will drop to the high 50's/low 60's. If we have a particularly harsh winter temps will drop even farther to the low 50's and from time to time can hit the high 40's. A 5 mil might not be enough insulation. While the Gulf is warmer than the Atlantic in the summer (I saw 91° F this summer) it is also colder in the winter.

Planning ahead, get a fine mesh bag you can close and attach to a snap bolt. As Ann mentioned, a buddy line is an excellent idea as viz averages 2 - 6 feet. Lower visibility is common. A dive flag is required.

Dang Walter, those are cold temps!

Shallow waters.... warm up faster, cool off faster.. still fun to dive in though :)

Incidentally, aside from the close encounter of the dolphin kind (which was pretty neat, I'm still hearing their sounds in my head, sort of like replay when I think of it), I was noticing a few fish up in the area which I had not seen before. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me for the second dive to photograph some of the fish but it is going to become a part of my suit up I think.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom