Venice conditions - please, no off topic posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mseese

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I find myself looking around from thread to thread trying to find current conditions at Venice. I thought we could try this- if you dive Venice, post a quick message detailing the visability and if you like, what you found. Please leave the "way to goes" for the seperate threads.

That said... I hope to head out on Thursday. Does anybody know current conditions?

This is what it looked like Sunday morning.
seas were 3'+
got out to 22' didn't find any vis on the way out

Attachments

• 100_4767.JPG
    100_4767.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 175
Great idea for a thread dude - way to go!

LOL!

There actually is a sticky on the Tampa Group. It's titled Gulf Water Temps. Maybe a Mod can change it to Gulf Water Conditions.
Yes, Walter; I know Venice is not in Tampa. Still, most people that dive Venice post in the Tampa Group.

Venice = Cold. Crappy vis. Of course I could just call this the West coast and everyone would know that.

East coast rules!!--

Went Wed Sept 17, from the parking lot near Sharky's. Vis ranged form 2-5' about 4/10th a mile from shore. ( take a gps with me on the surface). Lots of silt covering everything and a lot of sand on the "reefs". Not much for teeth, you barely touch the bottom with your hand and a cloud a silt bellows up. Where there was sand on the bottom, vis was about 5'. Lots of fish life, most the macro algae were ripped away and the sponges and tunicates are covered with sand. Water was slightly brown. An area I normally dive about 1/2 mile off shore, used to be a sandy area with large rubble chunks, was totally burried in 3-6" of very fine silt. Found one 1.5" meg and a couple dozen small teeth. Jelly fish were every abundant. Sea nettles with long tentacles that were hard to see in the poor vis. expect a sting or 2.

Cub and I made it to Venice beach this sat am. Water was smooth and a bit cool. Still about the same that reef said. The silt is there. The water temp was 82. Viz was about 5 ft and we swam out to about 20-21 ft. No real teeth. Cub found her first partial meg she was happy. I found jelly fish owww. So I have nice welts across my arm. Seen some new fishies but the bottom was barren in some spots, nothing but urchins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom