Venice Shark Tooth spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify, I wasn't responding to ths specific incident, just referring to boaters approaching boats displaying dive flags under power and at greater than idle speed.

Guess I didn't read this one closely enough.

I am not here trying to compare experience with you or steve, just stating that I have enough. I never claimed to be a great captain just aware of the rules. I have every right to anchor in front of you. Again, i started off welllllllll out in front and if i thought i was going to drag i wouldnt have. But hey hind sight is 20/20. Hell i wouldnt even go out with an anchor i didnt trust! Its since been tossed.

My first dive that day i had no drag because i anchored on one of those sparse rocky areas by luck and that held beautifully. I dont recall you yelling anything at me on that day and if so i never heard you only some male that i am assuming was steve...

Your divers were def outside 100 yards... well outside but not when i anchored. I cant control where your divers swim. Like i said distance was closed by drag and swimming divers.

Somehow this just went from a dangerous situation to common courtesy? I dont really want this to go back and forth... Its not good for either party on here. I am almost sorry i brought it up because nothing is being accomplished.

Just to clarify, I wasn't responding to ths specific incident, just referring to boaters approaching boats displaying dive flags under power and at greater than idle speed.

Guess I didn't read this one closely enough.

no problem... were you at the venice bash this weekend? I hate to say it but i met all kinds of people and dont have a clue who they are on here.

well now that we all have that off our chests.... did anyone have a nice day yesterday diving?
We did....
By the way, does anyone know who it was that dropped off two divers about a mile off shore and then left? Yes you heard me correct, a boat pulls up about 4 or 5 hundred yards off my starboard side (further out) drops two divers in the water and then leaves. No dive flags for the divers, nothing... one of the divers that I could tell, maybe it was both of them, surfaced behind my boat heading toward shore and then went back down... After we where done with our first dive we went back in to eat a little snack and get out of the sun, shortly after we got in the police went flying out... hope no one got hurt....

yeah it was a blast zoomer... sorry to hijack this thread. Wasnt my intent.

I dunno if i introduced myself to you? like i was saying to reefguy i cant remember who the heck i was meeting! How did you guys do that day?

that sounds like a long swim for the divers... i didnt hear about anyone getting hurt.

We had a blast, we definitely need to get the shade on the boat though.... lots of stuff to look at, the teeth were just a bonus (not very many)... my son freaked a little when a Remora decided to tag along and attempt to latch on to me, there where sand perch everywhere and liked to follow us as well, urchins, starfish, gobies, lots to look at.....

But I tell you what, diving from the boat beats the heck out of beach diving...

Anyway, we didn't get by to meet anyone... had a little technical difficulty with my BCD. Seems the last time I cleaned it I lost the rubber seal for the inflator/deflator hose where it attaches to the BC (yet another thing to add to my save a dive kit), so we had to go back up river to the dive shop to get a replacement.

But I tell you what, diving from the boat beats the heck out of beach diving...

Dont let the secret out... I have never once NOT found a meg off the boat. On the other hand I have only found one from 8 or 10 shore dives. Oh and i am never this sore the day after being on the boat...

Boat shade is a must... I have gotten some funny comments about having a t-top on my rib. Its the best part of the boat! Overhead storage, something to grab onto, and shade... cant beat that!

Yes, I was there. I was the one with the scooter. I found a 4 1/2" meg, and my son found two 4".

I'll have to disagree on the boat being better, though. I've got in the neighborhood of 30 full megs, and only 3 or 4 have been found off the boat. I rarely do a dive from the beach and come back without at least one whole meg.

Yes, I was there. I was the one with the scooter. I found a 4 1/2" meg, and my son found two 4".

I'll have to disagree on the boat being better, though. I've got in the neighborhood of 30 full megs, and only 3 or 4 have been found off the boat. I rarely do a dive from the beach and come back without at least one whole meg.

I remember seeing someone with a white scooter... but i dont think i got a chance to say hi.

You will have to share some of your shore dive secrets. Do you use the scooter to get out past where most shore divers are? Do you fan the bottom with the scooter or just search for exposed teeth? I am always curious as to everyones different techniques.

I am open minded to trying some more shore dives so if you need a dive buddy next time you go let me know... it certainly is cheaper than towing a boat around.

This was the first time I've used a scooter at VB. Won't be the last, though.

Actually, in the guide I wrote a couple of years ago, I put down everything that I had learned about finding teeth. Very little has changed since I wrote that, except that my typical VB dive now starts around 13', then slowly swim west, picking up small teeth (and the occasional meg) until I get out to around 22'. Then I pop up to about 5' or so off the bottom (as vis allows) and look for color/texture/shape. I pop down to investigate anything that matches one of those criteria, even if I'm pretty sure it's not a meg. I've been surprised a few times. We hang out in 22'-23' until we hit around 1000psi (our SACs are virtually identical, Zech is slightly better than me), then slowly meander back to the sandbar (again picking up small teeth as we come in). We usually hit the sandbar with right at 500psi, around 50-100 small teeth and a couple of megs (2"-4") each.

I'm not knocking boat diving by any means, in fact Zech and I went out last Thurs with AristaKat, and came back with 7 megs between us, as well as 4 nice makos (including the nicest one I've ever seen). I just wanted to point out that beach diving can be as productive as boat diving.

Zech is approaching 30 dives at VB and only once has come back skunked. He wants me to get him corrective lenses for his mask, but I'm afraid that if I do, I won't have a chance :wink:! He's had several boat trips and never come back skunked on any of them.

I'd be happy to buddy up with you (or anyone for that matter) anytime. I do try to get out to VB a couple of times a month. My favorite way to relax.

I'd be happy to buddy up with you (or anyone for that matter) anytime. I do try to get out to VB a couple of times a month. My favorite way to relax.

Likewise... I try to get out there a couple times a month. Let me know when you are heading out next. i dont need much of an excuse.

I have a bad habit of keeping my face too close to the bottom but i have found a few megs i never would have otherwise. 5' i will have to force myself to give that a try...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom