Venice Shark Tooth spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was the vis and the seas this weekend? I also hope Steve from Florida West continues to post condition reports. Guess I haven't been saying THANK YOU enough.
Anchor drag in the sand is definitely a problem. What does everyone recommend for anchoring in sand? Flukes don't work at all. I've had a 20lb mushroom drag alot also. I was thinking about trying a screw in anchor.

my problem was i didnt have enough chain on the anchor and i upgraded to a bigger more appropriate fluke... a fluke will hold fine with enough chain and rope

mushrooms are especially bad in sand from what i understand

I thought the vis was pretty good i think upwards of 20-25 ft early in the day @ the boneyard. I could just barely see the divers on the bottom from the surface...

:noI think the correct vis report should be ..... 0-25ft depending on who was in the front of you, :rofl3: but for the most of the day it was around 5-15 depending on the site.

There is a possible positive side to anchor drag. It does help turn up new teeth for the rest of us.

Our dives when like this..

First dive in the water at 10:30, sea's almost flat calm, temp 87 at depth, vis 15 to 20 feet (we where in 28 feet of water)

Second dive in the water at 12:30, sea's almost flat calm but picking up a bit with an onshore breeze, temp 87 at depth, vis 15 to 20

Last dive after lunch, in the water at 2:30, sea's 1 to 2 feet, on shore breeze 5 to 10 knots, temp 87 at depth, vis 10 to 15 at depth 5 to 10 on surface.

As far as anchoring is concerned, with a fluke type anchor you MUST let out lots of rope otherwise it will not dig into the sand and a mushroom type anchor does not work in sand. I usually drop anchor, let out at least twice the distance in rope as there is depth (i.e. 30 feet deep = 60 feet of rope) after that I will back the boat up down current from the anchor to set it. Dive down the rope and check it and help it along if necessary.

Just my H2O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom