Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaEm65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill twenty-six adult humans within minutes. Their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in. No blue-ringed octopus antivenom is available yet, making it one of the deadliest reef inhabitants in the ocean.

Video was taken on the GoPro Hero 4 with a Sea Life Sea Dragon 2000 Lumens Light and Tray. Video was taken in Dumaguete, Philippines.

The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill twenty-six adult humans within minutes. Their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in. No blue-ringed octopus antivenom is available yet, making it one of the deadliest reef inhabitants in the ocean.

Video was taken on the GoPro Hero 4 with a Sea Life Sea Dragon 2000 Lumens Light and Tray. Video was taken in Dumaguete, Philippines.

So... you atagonize one of the deadliest reef inhabitants in the ocean by poking at it with some sort of prod, trying to touch it with a bare hand and then following it around so it keeps feeling the need to move away from you? No offense, but I predict a Darwin Award in your furure!

Last edited:
Yeah, people underestimate the potency of the venom. It has been know to work just by proximity to the venom without even being bitten.

thanks for sharing.....but where's the part where you go to the emergency room?

So... you atagonize one of the deadliest reef inhabitants in the ocean by poking at it with some sort of prod, trying to touch it with a bare hand and then following it around so it keeps feeling the need to move away from you? No offense, but I predict a Darwin Award in your furure!

I was the one following it around but I did have a zoom lens on so I wasn't as close to it as it appears. The hand and prod in the video were the dive guides, not mine.

I can't wait for my Darwin Award, I hope you nominate me. Thank you!

I was the one following it around but I did have a zoom lens on so I wasn't as close to it as it appears. The hand and prod in the video were the dive guides, not mine.

I can't wait for my Darwin Award, I hope you nominate me. Thank you!
Ok - Darwin Award goes to the Dive Guide then... video is cool, btw.

I saw this critter right under the Arborek jetty, Raja Ampat.

sM0031546.JPG

Back
Top Bottom