Veo 180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not just running the no-fly clock. It is also doing desaturation computations until you "finish" off-gassing. If you load up the really slow compartments, that process may run well beyond the 24 hour no-fly time.

Load up a 12 hour (720 minutes) compartment and if it take 6 half-lifes to consider that compartment off-gassed, that is 3 days.
So if I make multi-dives over several days the unit will still be on for few more days after returning home? That is very smart!!!
I wonder if the latest Oceanic computer still coporate such a stupid idea?

So if I make multi-dives over several days the unit will still be on for few more days after returning home? That is very smart!!!
I wonder if the latest Oceanic computer still coporate such a stupid idea?

If you went home and made a dive you might be glad it was continuing to calculate all your N2 loading, and O2 exposure.

All dive computers keep track of your N2 and O2 until it is back to normal, anything less could put the diver in jeopardy.

I'm betting the basic computer operation did not cause the battery issue. I'd buy another Oceanic in a New York minute after using mine for over 10 years, but I'm not a fan of battery manufacturers quality control.

Bob

If you went home and made a dive you might be glad it was continuing to calculate all your N2 loading, and O2 exposure.
All dive computers keep track of your N2 and O2 until it is back to normal, anything less could put the diver in jeopardy.
I'm betting the basic computer operation did not cause the battery issue. I'd buy another Oceanic in a New York minute after using mine for over 10 years, but I'm not a fan of battery manufacturers quality control.
Bob
My ageing Aladin would had cleared well before Veo 180 does. So which one is more "accurate"? I know which one I would trust after using it for over 18yrs
According to the manual, the life expectancy for the battery is:
1. 100 dive/hrs(1 dive per day)
2. 300 dive/hrs(3 dive per day)
I always believe the more you dive the more power the computer will consume. But this is clearly not the case here.

Anyway, the retailer is agreed to send me a new battery but is still dragging the ft on the O-ring. This bring up another question. What happen if I flooded the battery chamber after changing the battery? Would the limited guarantee be voided because it was NOT carried out by authorized technician!!

Last edited:
If I'd been happy with a computer that long I wouldn't change brands. As I said above.

I don't know the Aladin or what method the used to calculate N2, since I was still using tables as computers were too expensive for my blood. It may have only one compartment for calculation like tables and wash out sooner so it could shut down sooner. The new computers have way more calculating power than the old ones did and may be running more compartments and wait till all compartments clear, therefore running longer.

As for power draw, since it continues to compute until it clears, it wouldn't take much or any more power in or out of the water, thus no change from one to three dives a day.

There is no reason for a new o-ring, I go for years without changing it out. Just make sure it is clean, seated in the groove properly, and the cover is properly set in place and closed. It takes me less time to do it than describe the procedure to you. I use a very little lube on it after a year. If you are not handy, or really worried, take it to an Oceanic dealer or your LDS and explain your issue. I don't know of any shop around here that wouldn't help, 'cause it would take only a minute and be good PR.

Good luck
Bob

Aladin will shut down about 3 mins after coming out from the dive or after switching on. It does all the calculation behind "closed door" ie. no dispaly so as to conserve battery power. BTW, it uses 3.6V Li Thionly chloride cell(AA, 2400mAh).
I really do not see the point to have the unit switch on while I am asleep, eating, shopping or whatnot.
Changing the battery on Veo 180 hopefully shouldn't be as challenging as Uwatec Aladin which involve oil, soldering and the final start up procedure.

I'll bet, from the size of the battery, the display used significantly more of the juice than the computer so they shut it down. Considering the display technology now, Oceanic probably left the display on because it did not significantly affect battery life and "restarting" the display would.

No oil, soldering and the final start up procedure to change the battery.

Bob

[video=youtube;QVYBUbovT6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYBUbovT6E[/video]

Thank you everyone for all friendly suggestions.
I hope it is just the battery problem rather than something else.

BTW, what is the size of the O-ring? Just in case I have damaged the old one during the battery changing.

Thank you everyone for all friendly suggestions.
I hope it is just the battery problem rather than something else.

BTW, what is the size of the O-ring? Just in case I have damaged the old one during the battery changing.

If it is something worse just buy another on on Ebay. The 180's, 200's and 250's are all about the same and probably the Veo 2's and 3's too. I own about 5 Veo 250's. I carry 2 and my wife and another buddy each use 1 and I have another spare or 2. If you shop they don't cost that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom