Versa Pro Assistance--Oceanic feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello--
I'm hoping someone at Oceanic might assist me, as my LDS has been less than helpful or even knowledgeable about my dive computer.

I bought the Versa Pro from them (directly) in January of 2004. I had no problems whatsoever with the computer for the first year or so.

Background on my diving/standards:
I feel I'm reasonably decent in care of my gear--regs (with computer) get annual servicing, etc. They get rinsed after most every dive, and stored in reasonable conditions. EG, my gear is not "abused".
As for my diving, I live in SoFlorida--I dive minimally twice a month as an overall average--the gear gets used often almost exclusively in warm, salt-water, and I do not go for months at a time without looking over my gear.

It turned out my computer was one of the group that was part of the recall for a problem with the guage mode. I turned it in via the LDS and received it back, no problem. I did note at that point, that the 3 minute countdown for the safety stop monitor no longer "existed" at that point, but it wasn't a large enough issue for me to justify sending it back in at that time.

Otherwise, during the first 2 years of ownership, I had normal computer use/battery life.

Summer of 2006 was the beginning of the real problems with the computer.

I was getting ready for a dive off a boat here in SoFlorida. Average day, average dive. I went to turn on the computer and set my 02 percentage. At that time, it went "haywire", for lack of a better term (I posted at that time regarding the problem, with little input back, as well). The machine just simply exhibited random numbers and symbols for about a 5 second time frame, then went blank, as though out of battery strength. If you hit the on button again, it would go through the same process. I went through the dive with a backup computer, and then returned it to the LDS to be serviced.

After being sent in, serviced and returned, I was told it was a $100 fee for being given a refurbished computer. (I argued with the LDS, as it was their job to call me BEFORE that decision was made, but that's another discussion). We agreed on a price at that time, and I received what may or may not be a replacement computer.

Things were fine with the computer for the following year. Unfortunately, almost exactly a year later (more unfortunately, I was on vacation in Bonaire), the same exact malfunction occurred. The strange, odd random number/symbol display, then turning itself off immediately. Changing batteries, etc, nothing helped.

After returning home, off it went to the LDS and again sent in to Oceanic for fix. It took almost two months to return this time. Since this was a repeat situation, I did not pay for the fix, but was never given any explanation as to what was wrong with the machine, or what I should expect.

Since then, I slowly noticed the computer was starting to go through batteries faster and faster.... I'm now changing them every two to three weeks. I have bought "standard" batteries from drugstores, batteries directly from the LDS, etc. (I have read other anecdotal threads here that Oceanic specifies only certain brands of 2450's will work with their computers).

The last battery change was three weeks ago. I went to speak with the LDS's owner, who had no helpful input regarding the situation, and her only "helpful" suggestion was to submit it for the trade-in program. She changed the battery herself with a new battery right there in the store.

Three weeks later, here I am, with another dead battery and a very real sense of frustration, both at the computer (and lack of response from my LDS).

I have attempted on each of these issues to go through the LDS I bought the computer from directly, as Oceanic instructs.

However, at this point, I am hoping that someone directly from Oceanic can give some kind of feedback....ANY kind...to let me know what the best option is for me.
I'm generally not a "publicize my complaints for the world to view" person. I rarely post on the gear section of the boards at all. But, frustration has won out at this point, and for a computer to be rendered completely useless after four year's of ownership is less than an acceptable outcome to me.

If anyone at Oceanic would like to try to give answers regarding this, I eagerly await input or contact. I'll also be happy to give my full information and the LDS inormation for additional research to the specific data submitted each time the computer was sent in for repair.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom