Very dangerous experience - advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surreal. Not much else to say about it. The 'cartel' email was a nice follow up though.

De sleeps mit da fishes.

Greetings all

I just stumbled upon this thread today. All I can say is wow.

Just for fun, I pasted the shops email response into Bablefish and got the translation below:

"Thank you very much by your warning, but by my personal security I cannot speak on that. This person has bonds with the Mafia and the poster of drugs"

:gun: :letsparty: :comeandgetsome: :letsparty: :gun:

[c]
8xsg90.jpg

[/c]

Tuti Fruiti:

Just out of curiosity, when this guy contacted you a second time after refusing to refund your money and instead offered you the chance to continue the course at a later date, was this done in e-mail form?

I ask this because you also wrote:

I have also heard back from the "instructor" and he refuses to return our money. We left the island at 5:30am instead of midday on the last day as we couldn't stand being there anymore, and he argues that we "abandoned" the course, and that the theory, exercises and remaining immersions were going to be done in that time.

If you received this “compromise” in e-mail form, you essentially have him admitting to taking you into the water before having guided you through the theory and pool sessions in the OWD course. Perhaps you already made this connection and sent this e-mail on to PADI with your earlier complaint. If not, you could still do so, assuming you keep copies of old e-mails.

PADI might be harder pressed to ignore your whole story if you provide them with written text of him offering to give you the theory portion of the certification process (among other things) in the last “6.5” hours of the course. It corroborates at least some of what you claimed this guy did.

I am very impressed with how you handled this case on the day and in the aftermath, and like many others who have read this case I commend both of you for having the resolve to go back in the water again after such a harrowing experience. I would disagree with one poster from way back, though, who suggested forgetting about this once you are certified with a reputable shop and instructor (which you have obviously done).

I’d suggest never forgetting this (as if you need that advice). You are lucky in a way to learn early that no short cuts should ever be taken with this sport. That knowledge will go a long way for both of you as you continue to enjoy diving and become more experienced. It is true that going diving creates the catalyst for better and safer diving. But there is also the threat of complacency that can come after many completed dives. Though this experience is never one I would recommend to anyone for obvious reasons, you both have the benefit of learning very early that complacency is the stuff of losers, one of whom nearly cost you a lot more than the money spent for an OWD course. And more importantly than that, you have shared this experience with others in an open and meaningful way, which means that you, unlike the dipstick playing the antagonist in this story, may have actually made diving safer for many more people down the line.

I tip my hat to you, and I’d buddy with you any day!

Cheers!

Man what a bad experience. The first question I have to ask is don't either of you have any common sense? NO self preservation mechanisms? You should have not even considered diving in open water without thoroughly knowing the equipment and how to use. That said even once you made that mistake after your BF went zipping up to the surface that should have been a clear sign to stop diving. Glad you're both alive but seriously we can't believe how long you kept making foolish decisions over and over...

Man what a bad experience. The first question I have to ask is don't either of you have any common sense? NO self preservation mechanisms? You should have not even considered diving in open water without thoroughly knowing the equipment and how to use. That said even once you made that mistake after your BF went zipping up to the surface that should have been a clear sign to stop diving. Glad you're both alive but seriously we can't believe how long you kept making foolish decisions over and over...

This has been covered many times recently. Before training (and sadly many times after) - you don't know what you don't know. Whenever you put yourself in the hands of any trainer it is an act of faith. You rely on agencies, certifications, etc. for the comfort that you are in safe hands of a pre-defined tried and trusted model.

To illustrate the point: if I took you rock climbing, what would be your first indicator that I was behaving unsafely and that by following me you were being foolish????

ScubaCouple, TutiFruti did a favor to teh dive industry and to ScubaBaord by posting her experience. TutiFtruti handled herself well.

You are new to ScubaBoard, ScubaCouple. Welcome. I am only speaking for myself, but in the future please take it easy on people who post their expereiences on this forum. If posters get criticized for sharing their expreiences, that creates a disincentive for people to post.

Thank you.

By the way, the fault here chiefly lies with the "Dive Pro" and with our industry, not with Boyfriend. He tried to get trained. He followed the Dive Professional's instructions.

Let's be careful of blaming the customer.

Let's face it: we have let too many idiots and jerks join our "profession."

Let's raise the standards for Dive Professionals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom