Vid Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

[vimeo]1706228[/vimeo]

[-]Well that sucks.[/-] :silly:

Last edited:
Why? it works...I have noticed that sometimes Vimeo takes seconds to load the clip but that's them not us.

[vimeo]1357198[/vimeo]

Last edited:
It wouldn't play, skips horribly.
That's either Vimeo or your connection speed. I just played the 1st 3 minutes (to the Dolphins) and it didn't skip once. All we do with the vimeo tag is link to your video on their site, there's no processing on SB. Vimeo uses the same Flash Server as YouTube.

Check your connection speed here: Speakeasy - Speed Test Mine's about 16.2MB/S tonite.

What happens if you play the other clip in my post?

That's either Vimeo or your connection speed. I just played the 1st 3 minutes (to the Dolphins) and it didn't skip once. All we do with the vimeo tag is link to your video on their site, there's no processing on SB. Vimeo uses the same Flash Server as YouTube.
Oh I know that. Not thinking badly of SB. My machine and service are not the best, but not the worst either - probly above average. I booted my machine and tried my vid again - letting it load the stream longer before playing. That seems to have worked okay, whether booting or allowing to load more before playing may be the helping point. I'd like to see this work as well as Myspace player, which can be marginal at times - even Youtube hangs at times, and I suppose maybe it is. I edited my first response. :blush:
Check your connection speed here: Speakeasy - Speed Test Mine's about 16.2MB/S tonite.
Well how nice. :eyebrow: 16.2 Mbps, eh. Woooooo! I envy you such.

The maximum available on ATT DSL here in the wilds of West Texas is 3 to 6 Mbps; I'm out in the sticks but I don't think it's better than that in Lubbock or Amarillo. I ran several tests there, on ATT speed test and Speedtest.net and 9 out of 10 came in within that range. Called ATT Tech Support and they think there may be a problem on the line again! Cheap bid materials in a low competition market perhaps? But if 90% of my test are within the maximum range, I can't stomp my feet too hard.

I understand that dial-up members are just out of luck on many online issues. What about our members with Basic DSL: Downstream Speed: Up to 768 Kbps, or the other two with plans below mine of up to 1.5 Mbps and up to 3.0 Mbps? Should they expect challenges or be able to enjoy this service - got an opinion...?

Thanks for your help. Hope we learn some things here so we can both help others in the future...

I used to have 1.5MBPS DSL at my old house but after a lot of frustration with low speed and frequent multiple daily disconnects, I called AT&T and had someone sent out. They ran all their tests and couldn't find anything wrong. Of course it didn't drop once the whole time the tech was there.

After repeated calls (actually dozens) to tech support - (explain why the American T&T tech support people all had Indian accents...different issue - lol) I finally got someone who wasn't reading off a prepared script and knew what they were doing.

After doing some testing it turned out that I had to be within 15000' of their DSL switch for it to properly work, my house was 16,800' away.

So AT&T's solution for the remaining 4 months of my contract was to "lock" my connection in test mode. After that it never dropped again, but I never saw anything above 768KBPS again. Most times it was in the 3-400KBPS range. So I paid for a year of 1.5MBPS service that I never actually received. When I disputed those charges, they told me that the contract I'd "signed" didn't have a speed guarantee.

As soon as that expired, I switched to Cox Cable Broadband. And recently they added something called Speedboost. So my connection speeds are always in the 13-18MBPS range now, late at night it goes above 22MBPS sometimes.

Oh, and AT&T "wants me back" now...

I think the only option for people with slow conections is to download your videos first. I'm a videographer so I don't like to compress my videos until the quality suffers (like Youtube does) in fact, one of the reasons I like Vimeo is that they have an HD option. According to the site, 10% of their 1 million videos are HD.

rgds,

They are generous with their 500 Mb a week. Only tried them once; have to look more.

Myspace allows 500 Mb now...

Back
Top Bottom