Video Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayceebutler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've found that the Go Pro software is always crashing on me, so I can't even finish compiling a video. Super frustrating. What video editing software would you suggest for somewhat of a beginner? Something easy to use, or easy to learn how to use. Based on reviews I've read, I'm leaning towards Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier but am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

If you're on Windows, then Windows movie maker should fit the bill, and I do believe is still free from Microsoft's downloads area.

I know very little about software for Mac.

For the ipad the free iMovie does a pretty simple movie. Final Cut for Mac is the other end of the scale on par with Vegas and Premiere. I wouldn't sell Premiere element short either if it's a simple project.

I use cyberlink powerdirector... works really well and the learning curve to me was much easier than sony vegas or premiere... both of which i used before

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

I'm currently on a Windows operating system and have used the basic Windows movie maker once. Worked well and I'll probably mess around with it some more, but I think I'm ready for something a tiny bit more advanced and want to play around with lighting, filters, etc.

I use windows movie maker. No problems! I heard sony vegas pro is easier to learn than Adobe Premier, but Adobe Premier is the gold standard of editing.

All great input but...from what I have tried and there have been several. Some of the ones are very high priced and come with manuals that that are liken to reading "War and Peace." i.e. Adobe Premiere Pro's manual is 485 pages. Some of the editing software are for pro like finished products. I must say that one our divers took some classes in college and some our best videos were edited by him using Sony Vegas. There is another factor that most do not care too much to talk about...time. We usually just leave the camera going and record the entire dive. So for about a hour of video you might spend about a week sitting in front of the computer editing just to get a very good video of about 10 minutes. So, since you are a beginner and more than likely just wanting to shoot some video or stills and post them the is nothing easier, faster and cheaper (that I have found) than Muvee Reveal. Down load it for a free trial. It is very easy.

I must confess that I use Intova cameras but am looking for a GoPro and will really put the GoPro editing software thru the test but have yet to do so. I truly hope that this helps. Please let me know and just in case you are wondering...I have no invested interested or work for them. an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIskHVV0bNM

TechSmith makes a pretty robust editor for Windows. It is a little on the pricey side, but should handle almost any editing job that you have. The editor software is named Camtasia Studio.

I second the power director vote. I have been using it with my go pro video for 2 years, very easy to use, does a nice job. Fair warning, you need a decent computer or the rendering takes forever.

Back
Top Bottom