Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Propaganda" in US English has come to have a meaning of "false advertisement", and has a negative connotation. In Spanish (and perhaps other languages), "propaganda" just describes the media (medium?) of advertisement (commercials, flyers, ads, etc..).

As to the dive; @Zack-Bloom, you stated that you were not running line in that particular wreck. There were places that looked pretty silty. I'm no wreck diver, so not sure if this is standard procedure, but I keep reading "always run a line".

I was in Lake Superior back in July for 7 wreck dives ranging from 120ft to 265ft deep.

If I looked like the divers in this video I would have destroyed hundreds of artifacts (including some human remains) dating back to the 1890s. The boat captain cooperates with the National Park Service to preserve these sites because his business relies on them being pristine. If I looked like this, he probably wouldn't let me dive the most sensitive sites or possibly assigned me a DM to make sure I didn't kick the crap out of or kneel on priceless irreplaceable destination worthy resources like the matches and lifesavers on the Kamloops.

I understand the OP is a student and learning but Chatterton is a horrible role model here - and if he took students this unprepared to these depths also a lackadaisical instructor. I don't care if New Jersey and Atlantic wreck divers are still carrying goodie bags and chisels, they are no longer the norm. Good buoyancy, shooting an SMB, neutral buoyancy, using the right kick to not disturb the floor of the wreck, all these basic skills are (properly) taught in 30ft of water as preparation for decompression and wreck penetration. You don't know what you don't know, but having good midwater skills starts at Intro to Tech or GUE-f or a class like that. And that includes having good role models and mentors so you can have something to aspire to, Chatterton's in water skills are nothing to aspire to.

OK, now I guess I have to watch the video..! :D

As to the dive; @Zack-Bloom, you stated that you were not running line in that particular wreck. There were places that looked pretty silty. I'm no wreck diver, so not sure if this is standard procedure, but I keep reading "always run a line".

That's actually also somewhat of a controversial point, and something that was discussed in class. In many types of wrecks, you have to balance the risks and benefits of a line vs progressive penetration (knowing the wreck and staying oriented). A line reduces some types of risk but can add risks in other situations.

They are the norm in New Jersey...
Globally they are not.

If you go to the Red Sea or the Great Lakes or Puget Sound or Scotland or the Baltic or any other wreck diving destination with this level of training I can guarantee you'll be laughed out of the water. And possibly kicked off the boat.

That's actually also somewhat of a controversial point, and something that was discussed in class. In many types of wrecks, you have to balance the risks and benefits of a line vs progressive penetration (knowing the wreck and staying oriented). A line reduces some types of risk but can add risks in other situations.
Only if you suck at running line
Or are digging for china

OK, will watch the video, but I guess what I'm saying is that you are claiming that - for example - kneeling is bad when diving, as a general principal. All I'm saying is that has to be put into context.

There are lots of times when I need to kneel on the bottom or crawl through a tight space to get the shot. I'm pretty sure that JC couldn't have done what he did on the U869 and the Doria if they had to at all times be completely horizontal in perfect trim with their hands out in front of them. If you make perfect trim the goal of diving, then yeah, any deviation from that falls short and will be seen as "not OK". But not everybody dives like that, and it's not just because they are incompetent divers.
You really need to watch the video befofe continuing to comment. Tell me if what you see is good techincal diving.

PS- I've seen way too many cameramen put their shot in front of the reef or the cave. I get that's not what you're saying, but it isn't a point that's going to sell me.

Globally they are not.

If you go to the Red Sea or the Great Lakes or Puget Sound or Scotland or the Baltic or any other wreck diving destination with this level of training I can guarantee you'll be laughed out of the water. And possibly kicked off the boat.

That's probably why I only dive in NJ...

Welcome_to_NJ.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom