Video light questions - how bright? What color?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your question is a bit too broad, not knowing much about your camera. I lot of video quality is determined by how fast your setup can write to disk/card, and how fast your storage actually is (UDMA 7 or higher?).

For a DIY, I'd suggest a pair of UK Light Cannons. You can put diffusers on the lens. Don't have one? Make one from a milk jug, and put inside the lens (or make "ears" on the plastic, and put on the outside of the lens and hold in place with elastic cord). A lot of people are moving away from these lights, and going to LED (as you pointed out, their light isn't very good for video), so you can pick them up pretty cheap (about $140/each brand new).

There is no such thing as too much light, as you can always tone it down with diffusers, etc. (you can stack them, BTW).

Have fun.

Was reading your post, I have a gopro 3 hero black, and also an hk light cannon, was wondering if I could use it for a video light, sola 2000 or 1200s arent cheap, How can I connect it and am I better just buying a sola2000 and avoid any disapointments, price excepted.

I forgot another variable: color rendering. Unfortunately there is no info on the chinese HID kits... Is really the higher the better? Or can somewhat lower CRI add contrast?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom