video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this basically the organ donor debate? He had a video camera, he was going to recover someone that had already died there, he knew there was a possibility he could die.

I do not do tech diving (yet). So I am a little curious why was he 20m away from the closest buddy? If there had been a buddy diver, whose sole job was to watch the primary, then deep water blackout could have been handled. Also, it might never have occurred because there would have been someone else there to help with the entanglement. Is solo diving a part of cave diving?

gle
There are separate threads about this accident so there you can read or ask questions. This thread is supposed to be only about general question whether such movie should or should not be broadcasted. I'll be grateful for keeping this thread focused on one topic.
cheers
Mania

mania:
gle
There are separate threads about this accident so there you can read or ask questions. This thread is supposed to be only about general question whether such movie should or should not be broadcasted. I'll be grateful for keeping this thread focused on one topic.
cheers
Mania

It took me a few minutes to figure out why I was insulted by your directing this towards me. Then I realized that there were more than 10 other posts before mine, some of which were even more OT, and you said nothing. Excuse me, there was a brief post on page 2 (out of six). Nothing after was rebuked. At the least you could have PM me first, I could have edited the post. Or you could have made another blanket statement (as with p2).

My comment was specifically that he took a camera on a dangerous dive. Probably to analyze the mission post mortem for any mistakes and improve techniques for future dives. I would say death is a serious mistake. He obviously had no problem with filming death, this was a dead body recovery mission. So long as his will does not state differently, and the family does not object, who cares. If you don't want to watch it, then don't. This man died because of a mistake he made, or rather a series of small mistakes he made. Sure, there was narcosis, a CO2 buildup, and an entanglement, etc... All of which could have been handled if they had been prepared for and dealt with correctly. Just the bad online version of the video I saw screams "Analyze Me."

Further, my search only turned up one other thread specifically regarding the accident. It did not have anywhere near the visibility of this thread, and honestly I found more information here. Also, it lacked the Discovery video, which was posted here. That video is what prompted my question. It was in the video that the support diver stated he was 60' above his buddy. So starting a new thread or posting to a different thread, over something I saw here seemed pointless.

My post was meant more to point out reasons this video should be made available, as such practices are not safe even for macho tech divers. This is at least the second death of a highly skilled, highly experienced diver I have heard about in the last 6 months. At least this time we can analyze exactly what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future.

I agree with gle on the organ donor analagy. After reading Dave Shaw's website www.deepcave.com. I think he above everyone else new there was a strong possibiliy of dieing at that kind of depth with that kind of Dive Plan. He strapped that camera on his head for one reason, for it to be shown.

Bennyhill:
I think he above everyone else new there was a strong possibiliy of dieing at that kind of depth with that kind of Dive Plan. He strapped that camera on his head for one reason, for it to be shown.
That's a great point.

I remember years back when we have some uncharacteristically heavy storms in southern California and a 17 year old kid fell into the storm channel. The news media savages gleefully showed this terrified kids last minute of hellish life, all for profit to help with their ratings. That is how crass and exploitive todays tabloid journalism is. The media are crass ambulance chasing ghouls always in need of another fix of human tragedy to sell their decadent wares at the expense of peoples privacy.And when their isn't any, they make it up, they've perfected fearmongering and exaggeration, from stories like "Vitamin C, the Hidden Dangers You Need to Know! To all their other sham stories on alar, cell phones and brain cancer, electromagnetic transmission, drive by shootings, herpes, radon, asbestos, breast implants, the hetero AIDS utterly non-epidemic, etc.

I don't put the Discovery Channel in that category however. I am sure Dave and the rest were volunteering their efforts to give closure to the parents of the previously deceased diver. I'll bet they were doing a documentary of sorts, but had no intention on showing the body parts in their video out of respect for the parents. That is also partially why they probably were using a body bag-out of respect for the parents.

This good thread question by Mania relates to human dignity, and the involved parties rights to privacy. The ultimate arbiter of that privacy is not the laws the media ghouls lobbied for, it is Dave himself. I am sure he made his wishes known, after all, he said if he died, he didn't want his body recovered. How do you show a video of a divers last moments if you are asked to not recover the body? That is why I don't think he would want the video shown if he had died.

In the abscence of a clear wish about the video, it should be up to the parents. All sorts of good arguments can be made as to learning from the video, but this was not an issue for oc divers, this is an issue for closed circuit divers, and now we apparently know Dave had c02 issues based upon what was observed and told by the CCR experts, so we did learn from the video. C02 hits really don't concern oc divers, so I fail to see the need to view the video at the expense of the privacy and digntiy of the parties involved. It is their decision, not ours.

I have to firmly side with Mania on this one. People need to have some respect.

RebreatherDave:
I am sure he made his wishes known, after all, he said if he died, he didn't want his body recovered. How do you show a video of a divers last moments if you are asked to not recover the body? That is why I don't think he would want the video shown if he had died.

I don't know the guy and I'm not going to guess what the guy may have been thinking, but could it be that he did not want anyone to attempt to recover him if he died because the risks are too high. If the video wasn't ment to be seen then it would have never been taken in to the water. Why would you tape a recovery? So they could make money off the video.
JK

gle:
It took me a few minutes to figure out why I was insulted by your directing this towards me. Then I realized that there were more than 10 other posts before mine, some of which were even more OT, and you said nothing. Excuse me, there was a brief post on page 2 (out of six). Nothing after was rebuked. At the least you could have PM me first, I could have edited the post. Or you could have made another blanket statement (as with p2).
I'm sorry gle if you took my post this way as it was not meant to be like this. I already asked everybody to stay on topic and refrain from analizing the accident itself. My question - as a person who started the thread - was of a more broad nature and this video as well as this accident was only a good example.
Once more - I do apologize....
Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom