Vietnam or Thailand or Japan - how's the diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thailand has Koh Tao which is pretty nice! Also should consider the Philippines, If you have questions about the diving here I can guide you as well as help you with accomodation if you like :D.

I've been waiting to see if others chimed in with info on Vietnam or Japan, as I am curious about those places as well.
Thailand has a number of beautiful dive locations, both for day trips and liveaboards, depending on the time of year. The Similan and Surin Islands are beautiful for liveaboard trips. The classic 80 degree water temp, 80 feet visibility and 80+ air temp. One can stay on Phuket and have a number of sites available. Southeast of Phuket are several other sites, the Phi Phi Islands plus Hin Muang & Hin Dang.

The Philippines are also worth a trip, with beautiful corals and/or macro and muck diving, depending on what you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Saigon nowadays, and don't hear many people talk about the diving. A few threads on here and on lonely planet etc. From what I gather, it's very average. Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, and Con Dao.

To be clear, I haven't been diving here yet, I'm just mentioning the places you might search for or look up, and that I've heard it's ok not great or worth planning a trip around.

Would one really put Koh Tao and the Phillipines in the same category?

Would one really put Koh Tao and the Phillipines in the same category?

I am totally ignorant and want to do know if you are implying one is significantly better than, and if so, which. Obviously the Philippines has multiple destinations compared to the one mentioned here in Thailand. I really am not trying to be a smarta$$, just curious, as I have recently returned from the PI (Anilao/PG) and am always analyzing dive trip options.

I live in Saigon nowadays, and don't hear many people talk about the diving. A few threads on here and on lonely planet etc. From what I gather, it's very average. Nha Trang, Phu Quoc, and Con Dao.

To be clear, I haven't been diving here yet, I'm just mentioning the places you might search for or look up, and that I've heard it's ok not great or worth planning a trip around.

That's a pretty good summary of diving in Vietnam. I've been diving in Vietnam (Phu Quoc) and Thailand (Similin Islands, etc) and Thailand is much better.

diverjen, Koh Tao is a beautiful island and if you're there, you should go diving. But if you're looking for a pick between phillipines and Koh Tao,there's no contest. Phillipines it is.

Vietnam or Thailand or Japan how is the diving?

Um, those are quite big places...

But my thumbnail answers based on my experience would be:

Da Nang, Vietnam - Meh.
Okinawa, Japan - Quite good, but surprisingly chilly - even in summer. Not as much marine life as you might hope, but lovely scenery and very clear water.
Phuket, Thailand - Not too bad, but just a little bit too ram packed full of budget tourists for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom