Viewing Photos from Camera on Kindle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gail Currie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I could have sworn I asked this question on this forum, but I cannot find it to see any responses - so here goes again - on our trip last year to Bonaire our house was broken into and the only thing stolen (a set up?) was my computer. Because of this my husband is not allowing me to take my computer with me this year. I like to download my u/w pictures after each time - and also be able to view them to make any adjustments to my settings - but without a camera this is not an option - UNLESS it can be done with a Kindle? Does anyone know if this is possible. My new camera has wireless so I could upload to ? (the cloud) or some other website. I could purchase an inexpensive small external hard drive and transfer pictures from the camera to that (at least they would be safe that way). But to view them? You can tell I'm not too computer/tech savy so any help - suggestions - information is greatly appreciated.

I would think you could set the camera up to upload the pictures to dropbox and then use the kindle (I presume you mean a Fire vs just a e-reader) to browse to dropbox to look at the pictures. However, what I know of wifi enabled cameras you have to connect the camera to the local wifi..... does the camera itself do the connection or is it an eye-fi card in the camera that gives you the connection? I think an eye-fi card you have to put into a computer to set it up on the wifi network so without being *allowed* to bring a computer, you wouldn't have a way to connect the card.

I have a little adapter that I put the SD card in and it connects to the charging port of my iPad and will import the pictures into the photos. Perhaps there is something like that for Kindle Fires?

Hi there

I don't think that this is possible , seem to remember asking.We use our I pad to upload pictures , which is so quick and easy. We then upload them into dropbox.

I have a dropbox app on a Samsung S4 phone , so effectively have 1000 diving pictures to flick through at boring times or on a plane.

Sorry if everybody knows this already.

I would think you could set the camera up to upload the pictures to dropbox and then use the kindle (I presume you mean a Fire vs just a e-reader) to browse to dropbox to look at the pictures. However, what I know of wifi enabled cameras you have to connect the camera to the local wifi..... does the camera itself do the connection or is it an eye-fi card in the camera that gives you the connection? I think an eye-fi card you have to put into a computer to set it up on the wifi network so without being *allowed* to bring a computer, you wouldn't have a way to connect the card.

I have a little adapter that I put the SD card in and it connects to the charging port of my iPad and will import the pictures into the photos. Perhaps there is something like that for Kindle Fires?

It's a Canon G-16 that I have just ordered so not sure of how the wi-fi connects. It did say that you could connect to the internet without taking the camera out of the housing so I'm assuming from that it is not a card. I like the idea of the adapter for the SD card though. And yes it's a Kindle Fire (not HD). Guess I have to take a trip to the electronics store that sells Kindles. I called Amazon and they were no help!

Because of this my husband is not allowing me to take my computer with me this year.

Personally, I would expect a painful response (painful to me) if I tried that line on my wife

And no doubt the computer would be going on the trip :D

It did say that you could connect to the internet without taking the camera out of the housing so I'm assuming from that it is not a card.

In that case you may be able to connect the camera to the wifi where you are staying via the buttons and the screen on the camera. Before traveling, look into connecting the camera to dropbox for an auto upload right from the camera whenever it connects to a wifi network, then look at the photos on your kindle.

I'm not familiar with the camera, but I am familiar with networking. If the camera can connect to wifi or do an ad-hoc connection, then you should be able to connect to a file share or file transfer service to retrieve the photos. There are MANY variables here. If you connect to a hotel wireless, it may have device isolation enabled, which means devices cannot talk to each other. This is to protect you from other users who may want to hack your device. If you cell phone has hotspot service, you might be able to connect to it and then your phone would see the camera on the network.

I use ES File Explorer (Amazon.com: ES File Explorer: Appstore for Android) to transfer files to and from my phone or Kindle Fire. If you can get your phone and camera on a network in which they can talk and if you can identify the IP address of the camera, you *might* have a way to connect to the files. You need to look into the connection options in which the phone provides. It could have a service for uploading photos to online storage and then you just retrieve them from there or use an app to view them.

Good luck.

There's several ways it could work. Canon has a proprietary application called Canon Image Gateway. It allows you to connect thru a wireless access point to cloud storage provided by them. To set that up - at home you connect your camera to the Internet - using either a smart phone or a computer for the initial setup. Then (theoretically) when you get to Bonaire - you connect the camera directly thru the resort's Wi-Fi to your Image Gateway account. I'd make sure it's working first before going though - try it at McDonalds or Starbucks...

By enabling your Fire as a device also somehow in the C.I.G. - not being a Canon user I have no idea how - you could then access your photos. Even Fire web browser most likely could work to view images. The big "gotcha" with that approach is that across Bonaire's WiFi - to the Canon "cloud" in the U.S. and then back to the Kindle would likely be horrifically slow. And the original Kindle WiFi itself is slow - I don't know the speed but it's closer to Wireless G than Wireless N - or less.

There is a Canon Image Gateway App for Ipad or Android devices thru the Google Play store. There is no Fire compatible version. If you have a smart phone, the App will work on some of them also.

The other option is to make the camera itself the WiFi access point in your room. Then you can wirelessly connect your Fire to the Camera. Then you could copy photos from the camera to the Fire to view them using the program MrChen described above. But you probably don't want to - just view/review them on the Fire while leaving them on the camera since an original Kindle Fire has very little usable storage if you have anything stored on it now.

Mine doesn't have a lot stored on it - I have 2.57 GB available of 5.37 GB total. The smallest card listed for the G16 is 8GB. They also list a 12GB and you can probably use a 64GB. At the highest resolution you can store about 1700 16x9 images on an 8GB card according to their posted specs.

So unless you plan on shooting more than that - or a lot of movies - I wouldn't bother trying to copy pictures off the camera to the Kindle - it won't buy you anything. I'd expect that transferring a GB or more of image data could take a while also.

Just buy a couple of cheap cards in case you fill one up. If you can connect to your Fire when there - you'll have a bigger screen to view pictures on.

You can't really do any quality editing on a Kindle Fire either. Most of the photo editing programs I've seen degrade the image quality substantially so they can display it on the Fire at all. Once compressed, you can't get it back. Unless you work off a copy transferred to the Fire and leave the original on the camera card for when you get home.

Most of this supposes you have an older Kindle Fire. The HDX would have less issues since it has a faster processor and WiFi IIRC. There may even be some version of Photoshop for it. I don't know why you would but you could theoretically transfer files to a card in the HDX also as a backup. I might buy a few cheap cards and swap them in the camera daily instead to minimize loss.

Here's maybe the best solution- :wink:: Amazon.com: Kensington 64068F MicroSaver Notebook Lock and Security Cable (PC/Mac): Electronics

Last edited:
If at all possible, you want to avoid having to use WiFi....it is not always available and certainly not always reliable.

The easiest solution is to take the card out of the camera and put it into a reader that plugs into the Kindle Fire. Typically a card reader that plugs into a USB port on a computer, plus a small adapter that changes the USB into something that plugs into the Fire. Then you may need a program like the Nexus Media Importer or the Nexus Photo Reader or something that allows your Fire to see the pictures on the card. I do something like this on a Nexus table, an ASUS tablet, and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. Much better than fussing with WiFi.

But as the post above says, you'll end up just looking, not editing, except maybe deleting!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom