Views on ice diving?

What best describes your view of ice diving?

• Do it all the time - I love it!

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Did it once - never again

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Never done it, but would like to do it

Votes: 115 52.3%
  • Not something that really grabs my interest

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Those guys are &$*^#ing nuts

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice Diving , see Werner Herzog's doc ENCOUNTERS AT THE END OF THE WORLD. Not ice diving around the edge of Antartica but under feet of old ice, great video.

Ice diving is a great way to sell dry suits and souped-up regulators. Mostly I found it boring, though visibility is usually good. Actually, the best way to dive under ice is in a commercial hot water suit and hat with coms. Makes it much easer to get back to the hole with an umbilical.

It's definitely something I'd like to try, though it might have something to do with geography, hehe. Conveniently, my best friend also wants to give it a try, so sometime in the next few years, when we've got more dive experience under our belts, we'll probably be giving it a shot.

I wouldn't mind to try some ice diving. The cold waters of the quarry (42 degrees F) I dive doesn't bother me a great deal. As I am introductory cave, overhead environments don't bother me either. I've been told that some of the coolest things to see is to look up through the ice & to walk upside- down under it. Sounds intriguing. Would like to try it, if for no other reason, than to say I did. Then I'd know if I like it or not.

I haven't tried it yet, but living in Canada I see it as inevitable, and is by far the course I look forward to the most. I haven't been able to dive since Oct, and it has been a long time.

If I want to dive all the time (and I do!) then about 3-4 months out of the year I have to do ice diving. So I do it. And honestly, I love it!!

It's all about the preparation though. We put up a tent around the hole, bring heaters and a BBQ grill, and basically go about having a big party when we dive. Yeah, it's alot of set-up work, but you also can keep the site open for a few days before the hole becomes too big of a mess, so you do it on weekends when you can dive 2 or 3 days.

And finally, handing the ice diver card to operators in the tropics almost always gets the raised eyebrow :)

Never tried it. If I lived where it iced in the winter, I would ice dive.

I have almost no interest at this time in diving under a layer of really hard water.
I am not a cave fan either.
If I do not like a movie, I always want to be able to just stand up and walk right out.
This being said:
I always stop the remote on a program about diving under ice.
The techniques and gear fascinate me.
I have seen some stunning pictures.
I am glad that someone is doing it, but living in SF as I do, this has never been high on my agenda of things I need to do on my bucket list.
Chug
Likes warm water, fish, and free lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom