Vintage Aqualung Navy MK II 50cf dual tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simplediver247

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am hoping someone here on the boards may know something about a set of double tanks I have. They are Aqualung Navy MK II 50cf 3000 psi tanks w J valve, they are original blue gray in color with blue tank books brushed finish manifold and a shiny new tank bands. They are almost brand spankin new in near mint flawless condition. I am at the point they are so nice I don't want to dive with them. There's not much out on the net about them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• gallery.jpg
    gallery.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 483
  • manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 312
  • Navy MK II.jpg
    Navy MK II.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 513
  • tank info.jpg
    tank info.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 231
Just a short AL 80 made of the bad alloy. Some of the first aluminum tanks made for recreational divers. Display may be all they are really good for considering most shops will no fill older aluminum tanks made of the bad alloy.
The Navy designation is just an advertising ploy to thake advantage of the Navy using mostly U S Divers (Aqua Lung) scuba equipment. If you can get them hydroed, eddy current and VIS along with a shop that will fill them you could use them as you would an 100 cu/ft single.

Thanks for the heads up on the tanks, they would make a nice single tank for my wife. I like your quote / Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Goes right along with common sense is not common

There has been quite a discussion of these tanks right on this site. You should read the information.

If these tanks pass their eddie current testing, and hydro, then there probably is no reason not to use them. Get a competent person to look at them, and find out whether your local dive shop (LDS) will fill them. I have a set I've been diving for 20+ years now. They just passed their hydro last winter. I'm possibly going to retire them soon, as they are about 36 years old. But I haven't made a final decision yet; 'had them it the water about three weeks ago.
HealthwaysScubaRegulator1.jpg

SeaRat

Thank You All for the heads up & info re: the tanks. There was 6 dives on these tanks from when they were new in 1974 and they sat ever since, they are really sweet. I am permanently moving to the Philippines and doing all saltwater diving I've decided to sell off all my nice vintage stuff so I don't trash it with the saltwater and have to limit what I can ship. If I was going to do just fresh water diving I would keep these and my double hose regs, Voit Dolphin II. The only double hose I plan to use is the newer Aqualung Mistral which should have no problems with salt water since it's composite. I placed the tanks up for sale on ebay any ideas what fair price would be on them? They do need hydro & visual, but almost brand new, they are I hate to say a fantastic show piece. Thanks Again Everyone:D

Whatever someone is willing to pay for them, you vever know.

I understand that you are going to sell then, but if you do decide to keep them, I find them to trim really nice.

Back
Top Bottom