Vintage Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I saw a vintage dive light a few years ago that someone had kept from the 60's or 70's...I'm not sure of the details.

I'm now wondering just exactly what it was (company/model/etc). It was rather large, more or less like a Coleman plastic floating 9V lantern or larger. I'm sure it was halogen. I remember it because in addition to having a magnetic switch it used rechargeable batteries of some kind and they were recharged without taking them out of the light.

There was a bulkhead of some sort in the tail end of the light where you could simply plug in a recharging cord.

I'd like to know more of the details if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I'm also wondering why more lights don't do this as it eliminates opening the light unless it's necessary to replace the rechargeable batteries.

I'm sure there are technical problems and I'd like to hear of those as well if anyone knows the details of those.

Was it yellow?
It could have been a buglight.

Yes, it was yellow. I think it had a screwed on Plexiglas front.

That's a Darrel Allen Dive Bright. The only dive light I've ever owned. I'll post a pic when I get home.

That's a Darrel Allen Dive Bright. The only dive light I've ever owned. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Cool! Can you describe it as far as power supply, bulb type. Just curious to know a little more about it since I'm more into these things now than I was when I saw it.

Is yours rechargeable as well? If so how does that work?

Thanks.

It is powered by 10 D-cell batteries. The bulb type I don't know off hand. Mine has the outlet in the back but the battery carrier is not the rechargable type. Those are very rugged lights. Mine is aircraft aluminum with a 1' thick plexiglass face. Rated to 200' Field tested by me during the 80's to 140' at Castle Hill Newport, RI. Most of the yellow paint on mine is gone.:D

If I remember right when I bought it in the early 70's is was around $50.00! That would be about like paying $200.00 dollars today, maybe more.

Is this it? I found this pic on a vintage gear site

Attachments

• divelights.jpg
    divelights.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 684
I recently traded my Bug Light to another vintage diver. They are a great vintage piece but they suck down 10 D cells like they are going out of business with the high brightness bulb and with the endurance bulb the light is less than what I can get from a tiny Cree pocket light. In fact, the LED is brighter than even the "bright" bulb. The Bug Light filled my entire dive bag, it was heavy, the magnetic reed switch is semi reliable, the battery tray is flimsy, changing cells required removing that huge Plexi front plate and screws, PITA. They are a really cool vintage conversation piece but since I am a practical diver I found myself trading it for some cool new, and very usable, gray hoses and mouthpieces for my Voits.

If you convert such lights to rechargeable and then charge them through a port, without ventilation, you have a bomb! That is why that type of charging port went away. The old Ikelite Super Light, a much better light, you had a quick release front lens that allowed charging with the lens off and batteries in place to allow ventilation and prevent a "hydrogen' explosion. The old Tekna scooter, suffers the same issue, you charge it through a port, they have been known to explode if care is not taken.

I have sold all of my vintage lights, save for one, and replaced them with itsy bitsy LED lights that are brighter and burn longer.

N

I recently traded my Bug Light to another vintage diver. They are a great vintage piece but they suck down 10 D cells like they are going out of business with the high brightness bulb and with the endurance bulb the light is less than what I can get from a tiny Cree pocket light. In fact, the LED is brighter than even the "bright" bulb. The Bug Light filled my entire dive bag, it was heavy, the magnetic reed switch is semi reliable, the battery tray is flimsy, changing cells required removing that huge Plexi front plate and screws, PITA. They are a really cool vintage conversation piece but since I am a practical diver I found myself trading it for some cool new, and very usable, gray hoses and mouthpieces for my Voits.

If you convert such lights to rechargeable and then charge them through a port, without ventilation, you have a bomb! That is why that type of charging port went away. The old Ikelite Super Light, a much better light, you had a quick release front lens that allowed charging with the lens off and batteries in place to allow ventilation and prevent a "hydrogen' explosion. The old Tekna scooter, suffers the same issue, you charge it through a port, they have been known to explode if care is not taken.

I have sold all of my vintage lights, save for one, and replaced them with itsy bitsy LED lights that are brighter and burn longer.

N

I agree about the power drain, the switch on mine lasted between 15 - 20 years.and was fixed by Darrel Allen for free when it did break. I'm pretty sure the case would contain a battery explosion, but why try it? I will be getting a LED model I figure with lithium batteries it'll be good for a long time between battery changes.

You can drop a pound or two from your belt when use a D/A Dive Brite.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom