Vintage Edge Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd call any piece of dive equip. 25 yrs old "Vintage."

Bill

Nope, it's just old. Vintage is more about an era than age. A 57 Chevy will always be vintage, a 75 Vega will never be. A 57 Aquamaster is vintage, a 75 Conshelf will alway just be old. Computers of any year wll never fall into the vintage catagory, they missed the era.

The Deco Brain's problem was it was hard to make it turn on. You had to make travel very fast between 6 and 8 ft on descent.

Never found that problem. The BIG trouble with DecoBrains (MkI Table Look-up and MkII True multi-level) was they flooded with monotonous regularity. This meant sending them back to Switzerland and eventually Uwatec stopped repairing them and sending back but instead took them in and gave out refunds and/or credit notes for Mk1 Aladins (and they were extraordinarily fussy about how they turned on). That's why Deco Brains are very rare, probably rarer than Edges.

Orca, having once been beaten in the International "Create a Computer that Floods Easily" Competition did come back strongly with the SkinnyDipper, which would flood if taken out of your house on a foggy day :depressed:

My skinny dipper turned 21 last year.

Never flooded and I really appreciate the HUGE display now that I need reading glasses.:D

No, it is not vintage but it is from the same period as my period SP MK10/G250, Stab jacket, Air2 2nd Gen and AL Conshelf SEs. All of which I still dive regularly.

My skinny dipper turned 21 last year.

Never flooded and I really appreciate the HUGE display now that I need reading glasses.:D

If it's a SkinnyDipper and not a SkinnyDipper II then I'll be seriously impressed!

Hickdive,

Now that you mention it, I think it is a Skinny dipper II. I vaguely recall the door being different with a bayonet sort of operation. Mine is a screwed down switch/door.

I believe it was recalled and replaced with a newer model a few months after I got the first one. So yeah, it is in fact a skinny dipper II.

It has served me well.

Hello everyone

Great news that everyone is getting to use their "vintage" dive brains and educating us all :D BUT does anyone out there wish to own a pre-loved yum yum yellow Edge Dive Computer by Orca. It was purchased in August 1988.

Tanks n best fishes/

Why is this being discussed in the vintage forum?
Are dive computers considered vintage now?
A dive computer from 1988 for sale in the vintage forum?

So I guess Nemrod's comment that the "New Vintage" is todays date minus 6 weeks was right.

Back
Top Bottom