Vintage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aford

New
Reaction score
An item was brought to my vintage car club for a "what is it?" question.
From a thread started here by WB2GLP in May 2012 I have identified it as a G.S.D. seabed marker.
Can anyone tell me how and for what purpose it was used?

I look forward to any and all responses.

It is a floating marker bouy, a useful tool. When you find something of interest on the seabed (think Atocha treasure) you anchor the buoy's line onto the object, then let the bouy ascend via the spooled line. The floating bouy on the surface will guide you back down to the object when you return on a subsequent dive. As the bouy has a built in light source, it can be used to mark the location at night as well. Also this can be used as a means to track a diver doing a drift dive during the day or night.

Is this the item ? GSD MARKER.JPGGSD MARKER.JPG1 (2).jpg

john

It is a floating marker bouy, a useful tool. When you find something of interest on the seabed (think Atocha treasure) you anchor the buoy's line onto the object, then let the bouy ascend via the spooled line. The floating bouy on the surface will guide you back down to the object when you return on a subsequent dive. As the bouy has a built in light source, it can be used to mark the location at night as well. Also this can be used as a means to track a diver doing a drift dive during the day or night.

Thanks USdiver1. I didn't know if it was meant to be laid on the seabed or floated off. I can't find any battery compartment or light source other than that the red panels may be reflective. They can be covered by the rotating ring.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

---------- Post added September 11th, 2015 at 06:28 PM ----------

Tmh1Gii.jpg

Thanks John.
Yes it is like the mod. 8055 with some different text {G.S.D. RECCO (Italy) instead of KING NEPTUNE}. My son has just added a photo to this reply. I hope it is not too large to post.
Thanks again for your response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom