Vintage Reg Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking through local classifieds site and came across one of these regs in a lot of vintage regs for sale. I cannot discern any markings on it that would help me identify this particular reg:

223128350_img0283.jpg

Any help would be welcome.

thanks!

Sportways

The yoke knob should have a "S" and a "W".

Thanks Luis! You were the first person I was actually going to PM :D

Its being sold with an old Calypso J reg and a few other odds and ends. Is this a piston reg? I guess a few o rings and refurbishing the seat and it'll be all good. Searching VDH for a manual.

If I remember correctly, that is a flow by piston. I have one around here somewhere.....I am getting slack on photos when I dissamble a reg.

Well, in terms of additional information, I was only able to find an eBay hit here:SCUBA-WATERLUNG-BY-SPORTSWAYS-FIRST-STAGE-REGULATOR

It mentions that the service pressure is 4000 PSI, with 4 LP ports, and 1 HP port. Not bad for an old reg! It also gives me other views of the reg. Problem is, I still can't quite put a date on this thing as to how "vintage" it is. I've searched through most of the sportsways catalogs from VDH yet still have come up dry. Any more info, or better yet a manual would be great :D

From a bit more sleuthing, I found a collector who identifies it as a W-600:

db_Waterlung34.jpg

And from another poster here on SB:

Pictured is a 1977 Sportsways-Waterlung W-600 Hydronaut. The downstream 2nd stage features an adjustable orifice that allows it to be tuned without removing the diaphragm cover. The balanced, flow through piston 1st stage has a heavy yoke, and a low profile tank mount. It has 3 LP ports (30-cfm flow), 1 HP port, and a special low-flow 5-cfm port devoted to the inflator hose. This valuable feature might allow you time to disconnect a sticking auto-inflator before you rocket to the surface.

The W-600 has simple design with minimal parts and is extremely easy to service. Instead of requiring special spanner wrenches or strap wrenches, the top end of 1st stage has flat sides to fit an ordinary crescent wrench. The HP nozzle has a broad, wide screw head that just happened to perfectly fit the handle of the pictured tablespoon.

An advertisement for this regulator read: “Sometimes it Pays to be a Sucker! Especially when you are using the new Sportsways-Waterlung W-600. You’ll never suck in a more effortless supply of air. Try it and you’ll discover this outstanding regulator requires only minimal effort for complete and comfortable underwater breathing. You know how important that is to a diver. Special Offer - $119.95! (Limited time offer good through February, 1977)”.

1977! No wonder I couldn't find it in the old VDH sportsways catalogs!

Back
Top Bottom