Vintage single hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCAT

Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes I happen upon old scuba equipment and often wonder if it's worth restoration or should I keep walking. I usually see single hose and sometimes double hose regulators in antique and second hand/flea market type shops.

I've been following several of the threads here in the vintage section and thought I would ask, which vintage single hose regulators should be avoided and which are best restored and used to dive with?

I understand the Conshelf types are desirable, are their others to be on the look-out for?

thanks and I enjoy reading the threads here, very educational.

"Vintage" is a difficult term to define. Many people, but not all, consider Vintage Era to be 1973 and older. It is not a floating date point. A 1980 reg will never be vintage era by that definition. Other people have a looser definition.

For myself, I hold to the 1973 or older but there are a bunch of cool single hose regs built through about 1984 that are really a lot of fun to play with.

Tekna T2100 series--all metal are rare.

Voit MR series and anything Voit

USD Conshelf series

Any Scuba Pro using the R109 or similar full metal second.

Those are some that come to mind. Some single hose jobs are hard to find parts for and others are easy.

I have a NOS Voit black label (MR12 pre venturi tube) first and second never in the water with boxes and includes a nearly mint matching octo----just waiting for a nice offer----hmmmm---lol.

N

Thanks N.,

I've been reading the boards at VDH as well. Lots of knowledge there as well. Lots to take in.

cheers

Collecting and diving old regs is an interesting process. I would suggest you start with US Divers as you can get parts for them. As Nemrod mentioned the Voit MR 12 is a nice reg. I own one and have just finished rebuilding it. Voit and US Divers are kind of like Evinrude and Johnson in outboard motors. I replaced the MR's low pressure seat with one that was destined for a DA Aquamaster Double hose. I put in a new Conshelf seat from VDH. Had to trim up a pin, but she works like a million bucks now. I cut my teeth on Dacor Olympic regs. That was a fine single hoser and I still use them. Once you get past those the parts run out fast. Alot of times you can refinish high pressure seats and adopt other manufacturers low pressure seats. But then you really have to do some home work and figure things out.
This hobby will get to you. Probably better to run while you still can. LOL

Jim

"This hobby will get to you. Probably better to run while you still can."

No truer words have ever been spoken, I still cuss the guy who gave me a couple of olds regs to tinker with. :)

One thing to remember is that prior to the late 1960s or early 1970s, the single hose regulators did not have as good of breathing characteristics as a double hose (DA Aquamaster, which was the U.S. Navy's standard regulator). This is because the exhalation valve was too small. Double hose regulators breath very nicely on exhalation, due to the large opening and valve placement. Also, with few exceptions, early single hose regulators were tilt valves (upstream second stages) which breathed fairly hard. They were able to compete on inhalation resistance with the USD double hose regulators because of the difference in water pressure by placement of the demand valve at the mouth, instead of behind the head. In many positions, this improved the breathing characteristics because the diver did not have to overcome the hydrostatic "head" pressure between the valve and the center of the diver's lungs. But keep that in mind--single hose regulators of the earlier age were harder breathing, and not approved by the U.S. Navy for their divers. The first ones to gain approval were the AMF Voit MR-12 and the third generation Calypso from U.S. Divers Co. The later generation Conshelf regulator was also highly used, but only when it got the larger exhalation valve, by the U.S. Navy.

In the U.S. Air Force, we were using single hose regulators in the late 1960s, as they were much better for our types of operations, even with the smaller exhalation valves. We dove shallow, and used them in parascuba jumps, where a double hose regulator was problematical.

I have started collecting single hose regs too, and now have an Aquamatic, two first-generation Calypso (both of which i dive--I dove the AMF Voit version, the V11 Viking 40 when I was still a teenager), two Olympic 400 regs (still needing repair), and a Dacor Pacer (not really vintage, but a beautiful regulator anyway). Also is my collection is a Conshelf IV, a Healthways Scuba Star and several Sportsways Waterlung regulators.

SeaRat

I am partial to the US Divers regs myself, and I have created and sourced repair kits for several. They are simple to fix and dang fine breathers if you can get them to hold a good high IP of 140-145. Pretty much any Conshelf can be made into a great reg even by today's standards, for example I have a Conshelf VI that holds a rock solid 145 psi IP with the new style teflon seat in it and is tuned to about 1 inch on the magnahelic. It does have the smaller exhaust valve, but in my opinion it is not noticeably harder to breathe with a good, high IP.

I have the following US Divers regulators and lots of spare parts if anyone is looking into rebuilding one, it is quite the enlightening experience and is pretty cost effective:

Conshelf VI
Conshelf XI
Conshelf XII
Conshelf XIV
Calypso J (IV series)
Aquarius

Parts are also availible for both styles of second stage. The VDH store carries rebuild kits for single hose regulators as I have time to create them as well.

Any of the regulators mentioned above are good.

My favorite single hose are the Scubapro Mk-5 / 109 (or the balanced adjustable second stage 156), also any of the Conshelf, and one that has not been mentioned is the Poseidon Cyklon 300.

Parts for all three of the regulators above are available from the manufacturer (and for the Conshelf from VDH and Slonda).

The Scubapro and the US Divers/ Aqua Lung are both extremely easy to service.

The Poseidon Cyklon is a bit more problematic to service, but once it is tuned properly, it is one of the best breathing regulators of all times. It is also very reliable and the second stage with the side exhaust has a great feel to it.

The only other draw back on the Cyklon is that many of the parts are very expensive. A new diaphragm can run you around $60, maybe more.

I also like the Dacor Olympic regulators (but I donÃÕ own one) and some day I ill rebuild a Voit MR-12 and a Voit Titan that I have.

Luis,

I've often heard that Cyclons are great regs, but hard to service. One of our instructors uses them. Can you go through a little bit of the ins and outs of them?

What would be a good starting point for learning about the different Conshelf Models?

Were the different model numbers based on major changes in design? dates by year?

Any publications detailing their history?

thanks all, sorry to be such a neophyte

Back
Top Bottom