Vintage single hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rebuilt my Calypso J. Really, not such a great regulator. Exhaust valve is way tiny, breaths wet. Amazing how I used to love the thing but in the cold light of reality against my new Titan LX for example, it sux bad.

I just dug around and scrounged parts from here and there, junk, garbage cans, Ebait, until I had enough pieces to rebuild it. The exhaust tee, I got a new one, somehow, good luck with that. Mine was typical old and rotted rubber and crumbled apart when I removed it.

Good luck.

N

Nemrod,
Thanks for the advice. I have not breathed the old Calypso J in over 25 yrs, so my memory of it's ease of breathing has been lost in the cobwebs. Guess the best thing to do is just keep it in it's non-functioning state in my personal museum (that will be tossed out later by my heirs).
Unless I hear other wise this will be the end of my search to repair the Calypso J.
Thanks again,
Hal

My dad and I were certified in 1969 and I still have our Calypso J single hose and the Aquamaster dbl house regs and both are in really good shape. I was wondering how hard it would be to service them and make them usable again. I particularly like the dbl hose.

My dad and I were certified in 1969 and I still have our Calypso J single hose and the Aquamaster dbl house regs and both are in really good shape. I was wondering how hard it would be to service them and make them usable again. I particularly like the dbl hose.

As for the CJ, see above. The DA Aquamaster (DAAM) is easy to get back in shape. Either send it to Bryan at VDH or go there, get the parts and information you need then do it yourself. In any case, the DAAM is easy to get back into service and with the new upgraded parts, it will be better than new. Get it serviced one way or the other and bring it to Portage.

Thanks for the all great insight. I've contacted Bryan and will be sending the unit to him for rebuild. I've also got August 14 and 15 in my calendar to be at Portage for the event.

Kind of amusing. I was sitting here reading this thread, and flipped over to archery talk, where someone was offering me a conshelf setup in trade for my bow riser....

I just don't want to jump into vintage for "my" first reg, and if I do I want to try a double hose sometime.

Kind of amusing. I was sitting here reading this thread, and flipped over to archery talk, where someone was offering me a conshelf setup in trade for my bow riser....

I just don't want to jump into vintage for "my" first reg, and if I do I want to try a double hose sometime.

Depending on the age of Conshelf, it may not be vintage. It was made for many years and if it's one of the mid to later ones is a great first reg. Service and parts are still widely available and considering the parts are the same ones used in AL's current top of the line regs, they will be around for many more years. I have no clue what a bow riser is worth.....or for that matter what it is :) but the conshelf in good shape should be worth in the $30-100 range depending on age, condition and what comes with it. They are rock solid regs and good performers, don't be too quick to reject it, esp if a bow riser is worth a lot less...no clue on that.
As for diving a DH reg, if you are anywhere near me- Raleigh NC, I am always happy to take people on DH dives in the quarry. I know of others who are also willing to as well but will let them chime in if they care to.

My riser(middle section of an olympic recurve bow) is worth 350-400 so yeah...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom