Vintage tanks: Where to find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, they are galvanized. In order to be used at Sea Hunt, they must be galvanized only. Mike Nelson used twin 38s which they also sprayed or painted silver for the camera.

SILVER SPRINGS, FL. March 4-5, 2017. Time travel to a bygone era when the sport of SCUBA diving was new. There were few divers then but one TV show changed that. Kids and the young at heart sat glued to their TV sets every week. The black and white exploits of Lloyd Bridges as ex-Navy frogman Mike Nelson defeated the bad guys, solved the mystery, and rescued the girl, all underwater. The time was the late 1950s, the show was Sea Hunt, and it inspired legions of ordinary folk to strap on a tank, sling a double hose regulator over their heads and slip beneath the waves.

In conjunction with Florida's SpringsFest the SEA HUNT FOREVER divers are returning to dive the crystal waters of Silver Springs where a majority of the original 155 Sea Hunt episodes were filmed. Diving authentic gear of the type actually used on the show, a hand-picked team of experts in all things Sea Hunt from 16 states and Canada will be reenacting underwater scenes from the show to the delight of visitors watching from the FAMOUS GLASS BOTTOM BOATS.

Renowned Sea Hunt collector and historian Alec Peirce is traveling from Toronto, Canada to be on hand displaying props, scripts and memorabilia from the show. Alec is recognized as having the world's largest collection of Sea Hunt artifacts. Alec began diving in 1958 when Sea Hunt first aired. Alec went on to found Scuba 2000, the largest dive shop in Toronto. Alec also hosts the web-based video series "Sea Hunt Remembered" spotlighting the show and the lessons learned from vintage diving. Come say hi to Alec and marvel at his Sea Hunt treasures.

Bring the whole family to Silver Springs Park, ride the glass bottom boats, and relive the adventure, or experience it for the first time. Interact with the divers, ask questions, get photos and learn about scuba history from the men and women who live it.

Sea Hunt Forever is brought to you by Vintagedoublehose.com, Florida SpringFest and through the efforts of the volunteer diving cast members and support personnel.

LINK TO VIDEO CLIP BELOW...

www.dropbox.com/s/ieyuz2fgjibmvqi/Seahunt%202017%20Promo.mp4?dl=0

I was at the Silver Springs event last year. Pretty cool event and props to Wayne at Amigo's who humped all those tanks back and forth from Ft White for fills.

Caveeagle, Flordia doesn't need another pair of 72s. They've got plenty as it is.Think of it as charity, if it suits you. I'm just a young diver with technical aspirations who is looking for two 72s to double up.

Hold up Ben! ...

I'm not trying to jump you claim. :).

In fact, I do have all the 72s I need right now. Keep your eyes open on CL, you will find some.

I would say to be careful with hoe aggressively they tumble or blast out those liners. I had two 72s that failed VIP due to pitting / score marks that I suspect came from the previous owner who had liners removed. Those pretty galvanized tanks are just door stops Now. :(

I'm not trying to jump you claim. :).

Well, good... We don't want to get homicidal now, do we.

I looked on craigslist and the only two galvanized cylinders I could find where in NYC, which I'd prefer not to drive through. Plus they're 1) out of hydro 2) out of vip and 3) I am unsure of the condition inside the tank. This wouldn't be a problem if there where more, but if one of the cylinders gets condemed, I will have wasted my money on another cylinder that I don't need. I need the cylinders to be matching with 3/4" threads for them to be any use to me. If they're not matching 1) they look bad and 2) they will put strain on the manifold when I set them down.

lol.. sometimes bad things happen to good divers. :wink:

You should get used to the idea that you might need to buy tanks that are out of hydro/vip. Sounds like your trying to do this on a budget. (who isn't!)

Here are some ideas that might help with this search..

*Sorry if some of these are obvious
1) Don't skip over tanks that are old or out of VIP/hydro. That's where your best deals will be
2) Be prepared to inspect inside the tank.. *Big Adj Wrench, Rubber Hammer, And LED Strip-lights and a wire up a battery **do a little research on how to assess VIZ condition of a tank. You will still need a real VIP, but at least you can try and avoid a tank not worth saving.
3) If a seller won't let you look inside, then pass or take a gamble for $15
4) Your going to want DIN valves for tech diving, so J-valves or K-valves really have no value to you.
5) Don't forget to look under the boots. Tanks can fail VIP due to external corrosion too.
6) I would pass on any tank with a vinyl liner. Just my preference, and plenty of other options for me to deal with
7) Several different makers of steel 72s, so make sure you get a matched set for doubles (sounds like your aware of this)
8) Make sure the stamps are all legible and not XXXXed out. (perhaps obvious, but I have seen both for sale)
9) Galvanized is not the same as painted with Galv paint. I would be willing to pay a little more for tanks that are clean w original galv coating
10) Find the best place to get hyrdro/vip locally. Prices vary and you might save a couple bucks going direct to whoever does your local fire extinguishers and co2 tanks.. Ask if they will tumble and 02 clean your tanks.. It might not be as bad as you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom