Vision Correction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm about -2.0 and -1.0. Don't need bifocals.

So I've used a mares ESA mask which has a lower set of small lenses. I put corrective lenses in the main viewing area and left the lower ones standard. I can see clearly without the nuisance of the paste on bifocal lenses. And can easily read my gauges/computer through the lower, uncorrected lenses.

However, Mares is phasing the ESA mask out of their line and are offering it at a substantial discount WITH corrective lenses. Talk to your LDS. I work at one part time and spoke with Mares today (And ordered another ESA today also).

Yeah, this comes up frequently, especially with the older divers like me, but then - I'm far sighted like most farm boys. I decided I wanted to see the sights well and my gauges well both, so I got bifocal Sea Visions masks. I have a yellow tint for nights and murky water and a red tint for clear daytime water. If you don't want to go crazy and get 2 prescription masks like I did (I carry the spare in my BC pocket, as I have to work hard at safety to overcome my crazy side), then you might consider their changeable lens mask. The MSRPrices here are high, but your dive store can do better. link

Wear contact lenses
Many do, but then - I've know divers who were very anxious, afraid they'd lose them to water in the mask. Many felt much more comfortable with prescription masks.

I've also considered Lasik, but I like wearing glasses day to day to distract from the wrinkles. :wink:

When I first started diving, I used contacts with zero problems. Later, I had LASIK and I really enjoy both my awesome vision and my freedom from contacts or glasses. My wife thinks LASIK is way too scary, so she uses a mask with prescription inserts. All three options work well - pick what works for you above water and adapt. I'm happiest with the LASIK simply because there's no possibility of losing my vision if I lose a contact or my mask underwater.

By the way, I was able to dive in freshwater without any issues about eight days after LASIK. My doctor checked me out and cleared me for takeoff. No issues with infection (I had about a week left on my antibiotic eyedrop regimen) or with mask equalization - dove to 85 the weekend following surgery and felt fine. Some doctors want you to wait 2 weeks, and I'd clearly follow whatever your doctor recommends. I'm simply relating my experience to anyone considering LASIK in proximity to a dive trip.

Enjoy!

cannon_guy:
I'm simply relating my experience to anyone considering LASIK in proximity to a dive trip.
Enjoy!
As someone who has considered LASIK, I was wondering if there were any diving concerns related to havig LASIK done. Sounds like the answer is no.

stiffany:
Thanks everyone! I have contact lenses (that, albeit imperfect since I have massive astigmatisms in both eyes, should work).

If you are comfortble wearing contact lenses you will be fine diving with them. No need to keep your eyes closed if you flood your mask, a slight squint maybe but you will be fine. I wear soft contacts diving and have no problems.

As you can see, there are lots of different solutions.

I'll bet I'm more nearsighted than either of you -- about minus 9.5 in both eyes, with correspondingly bad astigmatism. Used to wear soft contacts, and dived with them; but stopped tolerating them well as I've gotten older (plus I now need reading correction, and they don't make high-correction toric lenses with reading correction that I know of).

So now I use corrective mask lenses. Minus 9.0 in both sides, which work perfectly in the water. No astigmatism correction there, but again in the water it doesn't seem to matter. And I can still read my gauges well, so far...

--Marek

I am right up there in the lack of vision category at minus 9.5 as well. I wear contacts and have always worn them (22 years) comfortably. I second the poster who said if you are comfortable in contacts otherwise wearing them behind a mask is no problem. I've never lost a contact lens to swimming.

Lasik for those with vision this bad is not really an option, permanent contacts haven't been around long enough for me to trust my eyes to them and glasses don't provide the peripheral vision I have gotten so used to with contacts so contacts provide the optimal solution for me for now.

I see a lot of positive posts about Lasik (not just on this board but others as well) and that is good. However, I caution you to research that option as it may or may not be for everyone. I had my eyes done a couple of years ago. I was 20/100 with astigmatism. I went to 20/10 the day after surgery and finally settled at 20/20 (no astigmatism) a few months later. I enjoy not having to mess with glasses or contacts. I, too, didn't tolerate contacts very well.

I tend to be very sensitive and critical about my health so keep that in mind while reading the following:

Recently I have been having some difficulty. The night vision has always been a little "wierd". There are starbursts and halos around some lights and vision in general is fuzzy in low-light. Granted, the starbursts and halos are no worse than when I had glasses. Also, the right eye has been giving me some difficulty lately. It seems as if the astigmatism is returning. This comes as no real surprise though because my Mother had the same surgery about 5 years ago and experienced this problem. She has been back at least 5 or 6 times for "enhancements". Apparently this issue is related to genetics.

I do have friends that have had the procedure in the past and they report no problems.

The DAN website indicates that after the intial healing period there are no problems, but no extensive studies have been documented.

Sorry for the long post but vision is precious and I wouldn't want someone to "jump in" without all the information.

Well, Jason's right of course - consult your physician / eye surgeon before you do anything to improve the vision in your eyes, be it glasses, contacts or laser surgery. In no way was I suggesting that LASIK is a one-size-fits-all solution; my experience has been good, others have experienced less than optimal results. This is all going to be covered by your doctor in great detail.

Having said that, I've seen no halos, specular abberations or artifacts since my surgery. And my vision above and below the waterline is awesome!

Here's another plot twist: Divers around 40 years old and older may want to ask about monovision. The eye's ability to flex dissipates in the early to mid 40s until the range of focus becomes permanently fixed. Once that happens, in order to see closer than wherever your minimum focal length is, you'll need reading glasses (or for those already using glasses, bifocals). So you spend several thousand dollars on LASIK and wind up with mask inserts anyway? Maybe not. The surgeon can cut one eye for distance vision and one for close up. Your brain "sees," not your eyes. As odd as it sounds to me, I've been told that this sorts itself out and feels natural to the patient in a matter of days. Again, I'm just relating my experiences - please don't take my advice; go see your doctor.

My wife's mask (Oceanic) and custom inserts cost us about $280. There are other less expensive options for inserts depending on your prescription and the model of mask you use. Consider that if your mask model is discontinued, you may have to start over with a new mask when your prescription changes.

cannon_guy:
Consider that if your mask model is discontinued, you may have to start over with a new mask when your prescription changes.
Actually, SeaVision will make custom lenses for any two-lens mask (I think). With spherical or astigmatism correction. We had a set of lenses made for our daughter's Mares Opera mask, when we found that corrective lenses were no longer available for that mask; price was just marginally more than for off-the-shelf lenses.

Only drawback is that SeaVision makes their lenses from polycarbonate, not glass. Advantages -- lighter and shatter-resistant. Disadvantages -- thicker and scratch more easily.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom