vision issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, middle age finally happened and I'm having trouble reading my gauges, even with mother nature's helpful 25% magnification.

I am nearsighted and have astigmatism. On land I wear hard lenses. For diving soft lenses are a compromise but, now that my close vision is going, soft lenses don't cut it. (They actually make my close vision way worse than when I'm wearing hard lenses).

I was thinking of getting some of those adhesive magnifiers. I hear mixed reviews regarding those and I seem to remember there's one particular brand that is preferred but I can't recall the name.

Also, I have an Aqualung Mythos mask, which is a rather odd shape. Does one trim these inserts to fit or are they only for "normal" shaped masks?

I was thinking of getting a new mask anyway. Time to go full prescription mask? Anyone have experience correcting multiple vision issues in a prescription mask?

Thanks!

I use the Dive Optix in my Aqualung Favola mask. I trimmed them to fit in the lower corners and work extremely well as guage readers. To keep them in place, I put a very tiny drop of clear silicone adhesive on the corners of the lenses. Use a toothpick to apply it. If I ever need to remove them, they can be pulled out fairly easily and the silicone on the mask lens will roll right off.

One thing you might consider is getting some lenses for your non-dominate eye that allow you to read with that eye. It can be a little disconcerting but I have a friend with great vision who wore one contact during the day do do book/close work. I've had monovision contacts with one eye for distance and one eye for reading for years and it works great. And I can see my gauges.

Proteye is a Dutch company which makes about 40% of all prescription masks on the market, worldwide. I'm using them myself, I've had several over the years. You can use quite a lot of different masks or use their preferered Tusa. But I als bought a computer with bigger info. On my Suunto I couldn't read what the things I was looking at where. So now I have an Scubapto/Uwatec Luna which has several modes making choices possible with less, but bigger info, or more and smaller. I dive often in murky water and I can still see this one :) The Suunto found it's way to my daughter!

Contact, Prescriptiondivemasks.com.....They've been in business a long time, do a lot of work for the manufactures and are use to dealing w/divers in your situation..........Also look at Leisurepro.com....They carry some brands that can have 'off-the-shelf' Rx's put in.........

I suffered with this problem and tried many "solutions" - none of which were. I finally used Marine Goop to attach a stiff, coated wire (a single wire from regular electrical three strand - I use the white) to my mask and wired an old pair of glasses to that. Cheap and easy to change when my perscription changes. Also, wired to the outside of the mask they never fog. It looks funny but works like a champ.

I then tried to find a good magnifier to glue to my mask. Again no joy. I finally found the perfect (for me) solution. A Harbor Freight $1.99 rectangular glass magnifier. Drilled a hole in the end of the plastic handle and made my own lanyard from cord and surgical tubing. It hangs from my wrist and I don't notice it at all - tll I need it. Then a quick grip and I can see all the details of my computer super clearly.

I could have attached it to my BC on a retractor but didn't want to spend $30 for the retractor. If I find a really good one (strong pull back) I'll probably spring for one, but for now I'm "happy, happy, happy".

I basically have the same problem, I wear hard contact diving but they are mono-vision. I have found that when doing photography that I am not seeing well and have decided to go to Rx lens after talking to several people who are my age who have done the same. The hardest part is doing the research on what is best to get, I didn't really want bi-focal's but that may be where I'm headed in the lenses to see everything I need to.

I have been diving with a Prescription mask for years and couldn't function without it. I wear bifocals. The last pair I ordered was from Prescription Dive Masks Unfortunately I couldn't use them because surgeries and health issues kept me out of the water for a year and a half. when I got back, I called to report that I hadn't seen well with them, and even though they were ordered over 20 months ago, I got an immediate call after sending an email and was told to send them back. -He would see why they weren't working and I shouldn't worry.

FWIW, I went and got a mask from Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home. I'm incredibly nearsighted, and have crossed into bifocal land a few years back. I've found the mask works great for both reading my computer and taking photos. Looks funny, but works great. I have heard that some folk have been having problems getting through for orders, but don't know the whole story on that. I do know you can find them occasionally on ebay for a reasonable price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom